Replacing a reel spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi to all, last sunday while at sea a wave rocked the boat and a tank fall over one of my Dive Rite reels breaking the lexan spool, I wonder where I can buy a replacement for this spool.

The measurements of the spool are the folowing:

3" wide in the outside.
2 1/2" wide inside the spool walls
3 7/8" diameter
1/2" axial diameter (for bolt)

Does anyone knows where to find one of these spools?

How much do it cost?

Does a broken spool is common?

Any input would be apreciated this reel is very good and expensive and would hate to discard the handle.

Thanks

Mandy

Thanks, I will email them with the measurements so they can send me the correct one, I'm not sure the model of this reel since it's a new/old reel (15yrs old never used until last sunday), in it's debut, a tank busted it

I found the tag of this reel, it's a primary enclosed reel model 4400 from DR.

The replacement spools at DR Ex are a 1/4" bigger in diameter, I'm waiting for the response on the width of the replacement spool.

If I remove the acrylic enclosure, the replacement spool will fit and the reel will get converted to an open reel.

The broken spool got epoxied yesterday, and I reinforced the inside with some fiberglass, just a bit of elbow grease with some 320 grit, and it'll work fine.

Either way, if the replacement spool is 3" wide and the axial bore is 1/2", I'll get one so I can convert it to open reel.

Thanks teknitroxdiver, I should have thought of DR Ex before.

Just ordered a new spool and added a drag from DRExpress, waiting for it to arrive.

Mark answered all my questions in a promptly and effective manner.

Great place to buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom