Replacing 10 yr old regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you could tell us about what you do not like about your current regs? And why you are replacing them.
i have an aqualung micron

My wife and I have been diving our Sherwood Oasis regulators for over 15 years (I gave my first Oasis - bought in the mid 80's, to my son, but he doesn't dive at this time - but with a rebuild, I see no reason why he couldn't dive it now). With regularly scheduled maintenance, I expect ours to last for at least another 15 years, if not longer.

I agree with the question of what are you diving now, what don't you like, and why do they need to be replaced?
I have an aqualung micron

Regarding having the regulator go with you when you turn your head that may mostly be due to hose length you have or how your hose is routed. Fiddling around and checking that your hose is not dragging on something, or too short, is a good first step since a new hose is of course less expensive than a new regulator. Try having a friend check for dragging and length.

I have a HOG, an Oceanic and Scubapro. They all breath about the same, and have no change with depth. The Oceanic and Scubapro are much more than 10 years old (closer to 25 years old?) so new technology per se is not the issue. The HOG is heavy an so may not meet your criterion as a light travel regulator. I don't know about the Aqualung Micron but any balanced regulator made in the last 30 years if it is well tuned is likely to be pretty much the same. So...the choice is do you want to try to spend some more money on your old regulator and try to get it to work, or just buy a new one. To service it you need someone better than you have been going to. There may be some or some sage advice here on places that can service Aqualung. Or you could just spring for a new regulator. HOG is OK in performance, but maybe not light.

It appears there are plenty of people willing to snap up that 10 year old reg. Do you think they are going to buy it and pitch it in the trash or service it?

Wow, what a coincidence! Though I have no serious intention of actually replacing my regs, as I'd stated, what I'd been reading about the Micron had me thinking how nice it would be to have a lighter reg.

I was once obsessed with lightness. After years of swapping regs I ended up for travel purposes using a US4 with military Con 14 seconds. Not the best breathers and certainly not the lightest, but stupid simple to service, minimal tools required and virtually indestructible.

Buddhasummer, my regs are simple too but heavy, sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom