Replacing 10 yr old regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine has a longer primary hose than normal and runs underneath my arm , rather than over the shoulder. Love

Ok plane taking off. Catch you later

Showing off, again...

5EFB87F8-C69F-48F9-9DC2-1709B521A4DE.jpeg

Ooooohhh, so shiny!

I feel like a crow . . .

Mine has a longer primary hose than normal and runs underneath my arm , rather than over the shoulder. Love

Ok plane taking off. Catch you later

Ditto, was using a 40" but now use a 5' primary. I find the reg sits in my mouth better. It's heavy and with a 40" I could feel it pulling down on one side causing the mouth piece to irritate my gum. Tried numerous different mouth pieces to address the issue to no avail. The 5' hose did the trick. Take care.

i have an aqualung micron

That reg is liked among a fair number here. I'd speculate that it may not be tuned as good as you would like.

But if you wish to get new regs, it is your choice. Whatever makes you happy.

Just to clarify. You are diving the Mikron not Micra?

The Mikron is a balanced first and second stage and does have a breathing adjustment knob. While not top of the line in breathing, it is consider very good. Honestly I can’t tell much difference between it and the Scubapro’s I have or even the Aqualung Legend that is considered a very good breather. The only real negative I see about it is exhaust bubbles in the face because of its small size.

As others mentioned, it might be the way it was tuned (techs can adjust the effort it takes to take a breath when they service a regulator). Has this always been a problem or developed after serviced?

As for pulling, that’s not the regulator but the hoses. We can help with that and adding a swivel is simple.

Looking over the Mikron, it has a balanced first and second stage so you will gain nothing by buying a new regulator. Regardless of the claims some make, there is very little difference in the performance of similar regulators as long as they are set up properly, at least at the level a diver can tell, the slight differences that register on a machine are beyond the perception range of most people. Some may “feel” better but this is more based on personal preference than actual performance. Beyond that, 99% of the difference in any reg is in the second stage so replacing the first stage is a waste of money. I suspect that what you really need is to find a good tech who can properly adjust the reg. Even if you purchase a new reg that performs well, if it is not serviced properly you will be back in the same position.

If lightweight is your concern then Hog is definitely not a good choice. Their 1st stages are way heavier than my Scubapro's. Some of my favorite regs are 30 years old. I don't understand your concern with age. A Scubapro mk10 / G250 will outperform about anything on the market today in warm water. Parts are readily available about anywhere too.

Looking at the profile pic, if that is him with the regulator, its not the Mikron.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom