Replacement for D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. The manual doesn't really make this clear.
Agreed. I skimmed the manual hoping to find guidance before I posted the first time, no luck. It is kind of mentioned in the bold text on one of the pages that you referred to, but since it doesn't give a range of dive hours it will store, it is not obvious what they are talking about.

Agreed. I skimmed the manual hoping to find guidance before I posted the first time, no luck. It is kind of mentioned in the bold text on one of the pages that you referred to, but since it doesn't give a range of dive hours it will store, it is not obvious what they are talking about.

Right. That's why your actual experience is valuable.

The manual is also not clear on the default sample rate. Do you find the 30 second sample rate interval to be adequate?

Right. That's why your actual experience is valuable.

The manual is also not clear on the default sample rate. Do you find the 30 second sample rate interval to be adequate?

This sample rate is for the samples -stored- in the log not the samples used for the decompression calculations so it doesn't really matter. When you download the log from the computer, it makes a difference in the "smoothness" of the curve showing the depth changes vs. time. It has nothing to do with what it displays during the dive for NDL's etc. The number of dives stores varies significantly according to the sample rate, it can be huge difference in how much it can store between 30 vs. 10s in sampling rate for the log. I don't know how much exactly but it is probably proportional to the change in sampling rate. For some of my Suunto dive computers, it made a difference of storing lots of dives vs. a couple of dives.

This sample rate is for the samples -stored- in the log not the samples used for the decompression calculations so it doesn't really matter. When you download the log from the computer, it makes a difference in the "smoothness" of the curve showing the depth changes vs. time. It has nothing to do with what it displays during the dive for NDL's etc. The number of dives stores varies significantly according to the sample rate, it can be huge difference in how much it can store between 30 vs. 10s in sampling rate for the log. I don't know much exactly but it is probably proportional to the change in sampling rate.
What he said - no functional difference on anything that matters. I think I have always had mine set for 30 secs.
Picture a graph/chart. If the dive is 60 minutes long, then there are 121 data points on the line that is drawn. That is generally pretty smooth and not much point in making any changes.

If the dive is 60 minutes long, then there are 121 data points on the line that is drawn. That is generally pretty smooth and not much point in making any changes.

Yes, exactly. For me, 60s is not enough and 20 - 30 is good enough. I just need to see the general idea in the curve not the exact second by second profile for the dive.

OK, now I'm really torn:

Dive Supply Thailand is now quoting 1350 baht (about US$40) to replace the D4i battery. That's less than half of what they charged two years ago. So, it doesn't seem so bad….

On the other hand, the Aqua Lung dealer in Bangkok is offering the i300C for 8000 baht or about US$250. That's for the "rental" model which comes without a box or manual.

Choices, choices….

It costs about $100 to have the battery replaced. Since I bought the D4i five years ago I have had to replace the battery three times for a total of $300. That seems excessive to me.

If I had the manual dexterity and confidence required to replace the battery myself, the cost would be much less. I don't, so I have to pay to have it done.

It was a mistake to buy an "always on" dive computer. I won't make that mistake again.

All the dexterity required is to unscrew two screws: The actual battery is an off the shelf one with an online shopping price tag of a couple of dollars at most.

All the dexterity required is to unscrew two screws:

In the last few years I have flooded two dive lights because I cross-threaded the battery compartment. My wife calls me "Mr Clumsy". I learned long ago not to attempt to repair anything that is worth more than ten dollars.

In the last few years I have flooded two dive lights because I cross-threaded the battery compartment. My wife calls me "Mr Clumsy". I learned long ago not to attempt to repair anything that is worth more than ten dollars.

Then $40 every two years shouldn't be an issue or cause for complaining, go for it and save your time and money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom