Replacement for D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Although I like using the Suunto D4i when it works, mine has failed twice during liveaboard trips so I'm looking for something more reliable.

The first time it failed it was the memory and was repaired under warranty.

The second time it failed the battery went completely dead just before the first dive, even though it had given a "Battery OK" message when I checked it a few days before. I only got 40 dives before the battery failed. It's no longer under warranty.

I'm not set on a watch sized computer, but I want something with similar features. I'd also like something with user-replaceable batteries and the ability to upload data to a computer.

TIA

@Buadhai

Note that the above computers have better features than any of the Suunto computers at very competitive prices compared to Suunto. I have been using Suunto computers since early 90's but now I won't buy them anymore. I'd use Oceanic for the typical recreational computers (from the list above) and Shearwater and Ratio for AI with technical diving features. I wouldn't buy the Oceanic VTX computer since it is overpriced and has several drawbacks. At the price of the VTX, I am much better off buying shearwater Perdix AI or any of the Ratio computers computers. For recreational entry to mid level computers, you can't beat the value and features of the Oceanic computers I listed for you above.

Last year I replaced my 4i with the Shearwater Perdix. I was having a trouble seeing some of the data in the 4i so I went with a bigger and brighter display. And, you can easily change the batteries on the Perdix. I will be the first to note that these two computers are quite different and not the same price point. But this is the upgrade path I took and it worked out well for me.

Best

GJS

Yeah, the Perdix is a bit out of my price range. I'm a fixed income retired guy.

I was also a bit shocked to see that the USB cable for the Oceanic computers is almost a hundred bucks!

I was also a bit shocked to see that the USB cable for the Oceanic computers is almost a hundred bucks!

Perhaps you can get a package deal on it when you buy it with the computer from an Oceanic dealer. It is pretty steep for $100.

If you are a strictly recreational diver and don't do deco and you don't need AI, the VEO2.0 is best value. It will have all you need in terms of features for a recreational diver. If you already have a pressure gauge, you just buy the wrist unit version of it and you will be all set.

It's me again.

I continued on with the D4i. But, it already needs a new battery after 21 months and only 67 dives. (That means the battery costs about US$1.50 per dive.)

Any updates to the above recommendations? I'd like a computer that doesn't go through batteries so fast and/or has user replaceable batters. Also, I need a USB cable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Compatibility with Subsurface is a must.

Price is less of an object than it was two years ago….

TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom