Repairing Mare Pneumatic Spearguns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friend gave me two older model Mares pneumatic spearguns to bring up to the states to get them serviced. He said they need new rings and to be repressurized. I took them to the local shop and they claim they can't do the work without the shafts and cockers. My friend, who is a Master Scuba Diver Trainer, says that is unnecessary and I should go pick up the guns.

Can anyone help me with this? Is the shop wrong? Does Mares service their spearguns?

search SB and maybe underwater hunting there is a guy that just got the clearance to fix mares and you just mail them to him and done deal.

Is the local shop a MARES dealer? If not they may not have the tools to do the job. BTW an MSDT, unless they are a certified tech for that item may not know what they are talking about. And if they do why did they not offer to fix them for you?

They are his spearguns, and considering he has been spearfishing for about 40 years, I do believe he knows what he's talking about. The problem is that he's in San Carlos, Mexico, and there isn't anyone down there with parts to fix them. And, forget trying to get parts sent there.

I'm not sure if that shop is a Mares dealer, but I guess I'll pick up the guns and see if the shop on the other side of town is.

Hi Laurie,
The guns can be serviced without the shaft and shaft loaders. The reality is most dive stores are not trained in fixing pneumatic spearguns. There is a misnomer circulating that pneumatics are troublesome and difficult to service. Most authorized Mares dealers will opt to send the gun to our service center and have the work done by us. Take a look at our dealer locater for your area and speak to them about returning the guns to us for service. I hope this helps. Authorized Dealers - Sales Network - Mares - just add water

Best,

Back
Top Bottom