Repairing a "split" blade fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Cracked one of my Space Frogs a couple of weeks ago - was clapping them together to get some excess sand off them (darn Monastery Beach gravel strikes again), and I literally split one of them down one side and now there's a crack about 10" long down one side of the blade. Apparently I hit the flat of the fin with the edge of the other, and the fin just cracked - they're about 2 years old, and must just have become brittle with some age, although I wouldn't have expected them to be giving out so early.

Any suggestions for a good fix? I'm thinking some epoxy resin, or maybe even model plane glue - something that could fuse the plastic along the crack together. They're still serviceable, as the crack does not go right to the tip of the fin, and I'd like to fix the damage before it does split all the way.

ebay them for twice what you paid for them...new Cressi "Split" Space Frogs.:D

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Any suggestions for a good fix?

e-bay 'em off on some clueless SB newbie, then use the proceeds to buy a set of jet fins ;-).

Try the 3M 5200 adheseve. It sticks real good, and forms a flexible bond. It just may work.

I was going to say "duct tape", but that's just the Canuck in me, eh?! :wink:

Sorry.. couldn't resist... a thousand pardons.

~SubMariner~

Good ideal Sub, Duct tape will fix anything. lol

(Scubaroo) If I was you I would just get another new pair of fins.I dont think its worth the risk of the fin coming apart U/W...

Well thats my 2 cents worth :)

Dive safe!

Deb

Split the other one Put em on ebay and charge extra for the splits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom