Renting a car in Playa Del Carmen???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debbie O:
Have rented many cars in Playa from different agencies. Executive (near the Playa airport) has always been the best deal and best service. Once, our rental car over heated about 15 miles south of Playa. We pulled over and made a phone call back to the office and the car was replaced within 20 minutes.
There should actually be Executive representatives on the ferry. You tell them what you want, they will radio ahead and have someone meet you at the ferry pier. Prepare to walk fast 'cause it's back a bit and they don't wait up!

Prices are higher in Playa than Coz... If you can get a price from Hertz ahead of time that may be your best bet.
jscott099:
I don't know if your in to a real adventure, but there are some places in town that will rent you a motocicleta (motorcycle). I did that once and had a blast going down to the ruins. i did stay on the main highway for safety though. Cash talks, and in a few minutes I was on my way. Just a few blocks from the ferry but I don't remember the name.
Aye Carumba!!! I've rented Motorcycles in Coz before from Tony Rome (only 150cc unfortunately) but that's quite different... I know Cozumel pretty well. I don't know if i would want to tackle a motorcyle on the mainland :11:

Do you recall how many ccs it was and what kind? Tony told me he could only get insurance for bikes 150ccs and under.

Jackie:
Actually, I was wondering how to get from Playa del Carmen to the club med. A few days in COz for me and then a week or so at the club med for my teen.
I am guessing that I can take a cab... Any ideas welcome.
I thought that by going to Coz first I can get some dives in- doing it the other way I have the 24 hours of downtime.
Not to mention that I'd like to see who I can work with scuba wise in Cancun...

I haven't done it in a couple of years but there used to be car rental guys on the ferry that will get all the paper work done on the way over and radio ahead so you just pick the car up when you get there. if not just walk straight off the ferry pier and there are car rental places just as you hit the tourist shops.

the Club Med that I know of is at Coba, an hour or so drive down to Tulum and then an hour or so into the jungle to Coba, at least 60-70 miles or more from Playa. quite a taxi ride!

Is there a Club Med on the Coast?

I'm not much of a biker, but I would feel safer driving a bike on the highway from Playa to Tulum or up to Cancun than in the narrow streets of San Miguel.

Playa has always been a blow to my "deal making pride". Cars are higher there and nobody wants to give you a deal. They always try to switch you and/or deny that the rate you got quoted is available. You have to be content with the best deal you can make. I basically use the old "that guy offered me a better deal" by pointing at another rental stand and take what I get.

We've always got pretty good quality cars, but the rates over there are higher than Coz by a good bit. The timeshare geeks over there are ferocius, avoid 'em at all costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom