rental dive computers and residual nitrogen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The VEO 2's that we use have that feature. Comes in handy when you do have a short interval between different users.

We use Suunto Zoops as our rental computers, and have software we can use to reset them in between rentals. But yes, if the centre you are renting from doesn't have/use these practices, you will need to check the no fly time and dive planning mode to see what your limits are.

.....After 24 hours everything reverts to square one......Nothing "magical" about anything.
Just math :D
The 24h period is related to the "5 half-times" rule: after 5 ht, the residual value is almost 0.
If the lowest compartment has ~5 hours ht, after ~25 hours it is almost clean.
24h is easier to remember than 25 :wink:

Just math :D
The 24h period is related to the "5 half-times" rule: after 5 ht, the residual value is almost 0.
If the lowest compartment has ~5 hours ht, after ~25 hours it is almost clean.
24h is easier to remember than 25 :wink:

If the 640 minute compartment were semisaturated (I agree is unlikely, but theoretically possible to get it quite high under the right circumstances), you'd not have cleared it in 24 hours.

My guess is the 24 hour countdown to flight on a computer is functionally decoupled and independent of the tissue loading algorithm in the software. That makes the no-fly counter mostly arbitrary imo.

The time to fly countdown on computers does not necessarily start with 24 hours. Maybe some do, but none of the Suuntos I've had does a flat 24 hours, it's calculating a time related to profiles.

My Oceanic computer displays 2 timers

DSAT timer and no fly time. Never seen them display the same time on the countdown. DSAT is always <Flytime. But then I have never put a computer into Deco. Maybe that would make a difference.

Fly Time is a count down timer that begins counting down 10 minutes after surfacing from a dive from 23:50 to 0:00 (hr:min).

Dsat Time, also a count down timer, provides calculated time for tissue desaturation at sea level taking into consideration the Conservation Factor setting.

My Oceanic computer displays 2 timers

DSAT timer and no fly time. Never seen them display the same time on the countdown. DSAT is always <Flytime. But then I have never put a computer into Deco. Maybe that would make a difference.

Fly Time is a count down timer that begins counting down 10 minutes after surfacing from a dive from 23:50 to 0:00 (hr:min).

Dsat Time, also a count down timer, provides calculated time for tissue desaturation at sea level taking into consideration the Conservation Factor setting.
That's exactly how a Mares Puck also works. Desat is the theoretical time after which you're fully desaturated, meaning you've cleared all your N2 and all your NDL times are back to normal. The no-fly timer is always 24h, no matter how short, long or deep of a dive you did. It's based on the common "just in case" rule that many agencies put out, which is a blanket ban from all flying within 24h. In other words, it's the desaturation timer that matters in a rental DC, not the no-fly timer.

The displays would something like this:

No Fly:Sat copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom