Rental Boat Diving (Marathon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to go down to the Keys in the middle of March. We're thinking of going to Marathon and renting a boat to go at our own pace. I've heard that Marathon is pretty close to nearby reefs, ideal since we're renting a boat and going it on our own. The aim is cheap, with lots of diving at our own pace. Any suggestions? Maybe another Key would be better?

Reefs that have mooring bouys?
Tips for renting a boat and going without a dive charter?
Cheap Hotels?
Boat Rental Places?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

All the reefs have mooring buoys, they don't want you dropping anchor on a reef. Its pretty much all protected.

Which brings up another point. You'll pay dearly in fines if you run your boat aground on the reefs. I don't know what sort of navigational skills you have, and I really don't mean to be insulting, but you'll need a whole set of charts if you want to keep the boat off the coral. There are old wrecks on those reefs for a reason.

mikeloyco:
The aim is cheap, with lots of diving at our own pace. Any suggestions?
Mike

I would be surprised if you can rent a boat and dive cheaper than going on a shop boat every day. It's cheaper for me to dive with a shop here than it is for me to use my own boat and go to the barrier reef if it's only myself and one other diver. And that's just for gas, tanks, food and park rental. Never mind the cost of the boat.

OOOOH It's 4 miles to the reef at Key Largo, so now I know what all those bouys were doing out there!

StSomewhere:
You'll pay dearly in fines if you run your boat aground on the reefs. I don't know what sort of navigational skills you have, and I really don't mean to be insulting, but you'll need a whole set of charts if you want to keep the boat off the coral. There are old wrecks on those reefs for a reason.

I didn't realize the reefs were shallow enough to run aground in a boat with a 2-3' draft. Point taken. I will definitely consider this when deciding.

I have 15 years of boating experience, and my friend who is coming as well also has extensive boating experience with the Navy.

Hank49:
I would be surprised if you can rent a boat and dive cheaper than going on a shop boat every day. It's cheaper for me to dive with a shop here than it is for me to use my own boat and go to the barrier reef if it's only myself and one other diver. And that's just for gas, tanks, food and park rental. Never mind the cost of the boat.

From what I've seen, it's about $100 per day to rent a boat (plus air fills, of course), gas is included, but a dive charter costs about $65 per 2-tank dive. We are hoping to do 4 dives per day. The flexibility of our own boat is what is really attractive to me.

Thank you all for the feedback. It really does help me to determine if this trip is feasible or not.

Mike

StSomewhere:
:blush: Nevermind, you guys know what the drill is. :blush:

I really appreciate your advice, tho. I have never been to the Keys before, so I will have to figure it out as I go along. Just looking for advice beforehand. It would be really bad to run up on a shallow reef, thinking it "should be" at 20 feet.

Mike

The reefs actually break the surface in places. There are color photos in chart books that show what the bottom is and what shallow reef, sand, grass looks like from the surface. There are lots of third party books with charts on exploring the reefs and diving. Cost wise its probably cheaper to get on a charter but it is a lot more fun to have your own boat and go exploring on your own schedule. The standard, burn up bottom time on a deep wreck and dump em on a reef for an hour then its back to the barn charter leaves a lot to be desired if you really want to explore the reefs.

Marathon- Hidden Harbor Motel
Delta shoals and Sombrero are easy to find dive spots.
7 mile Grill on the right heading south just before the bridge has great fish sandwiches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom