Rent fins, buy dive boots for urchin protection? Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

U'vill Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On another thread of mine under "travel" someone mentioned that the shore dive near my condo on Grand Cayman has a lot of spiny urchins, too many to avoid, at the point of entry (Bonnie's Arch Condos). I don't have dive boots and I was thinking for ease of travel of leaving my fins at home and renting them with bcd and regulator. From the sounds of it I will need something to protect my feet. I looked around and found another thread suggesting Chuck Taylor court shoes.....Really?
What would you all suggest I buy for and bring for urchin protectionand, keeping in mind that I'll be renting fins and have no idea what kind they'll be. Thanks all!

As a cheap fix, maybe inexpensive water shoes that you can put in your BC pocket during the dive?

I would imagine the fins will be full foot fins so keeping boots or chucks on with the fins doesn't seem possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would agree that the rental fins would probably be full foot.

Other alternatives:

- take a dive float and put your shoes in the float (or attached to) while diving. Probably no need to take the float with you while diving, could just tie it to a weight and leave it near shore.

- instead of the dive float, just tie the shoes to a weight and leave them near the shore anchored to a weight, although it may take a bit of effort to find them at the end of the dive unless you have some good references.

lastly, my most recommended option:
- have someone carry your gear out to deeper water, and then have them carry you out :)

Thanks for the responses! Maybe I should just bring my own adjustable strap fins......But I'm still curious, do people really use Converse high top tennis shoes for diving shoes?

I know several people that use Chuck Taylors. They seem to work quite well.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I believe the entrance to the Bonnie's arch site (or very close to it) actually has a ladder installed in the Ironshore into the water.

There are definitely places in GC where having booties would be beneficial, but you also don't NEED them. There are many sites you access where full foot fins are fine. I take my ff fins there and am fine. The entry to a lot of sites starts in about 8 feet of water. For those sites, I get in with BC inflated, pull my feet up, put on my fins, and then start kicking out. Never even need to touch the ground.

Thanks for the responses! Maybe I should just bring my own adjustable strap fins......But I'm still curious, do people really use Converse high top tennis shoes for diving shoes?

Chucks are commonly used as rock boots over the dry sock of a dry suit. I have tried them myself, and they work alright, but a little narrow for my wide feet, especially with thicker socks on.

I don't know anyone that uses them for wetsuit diving, but I think they are a reasonable solution for your issue.

I travel with as much of my personal kit as I can. This includes fins. When it really comes down to weight I try and use composite fins vs. full rubber like Jet Fins which I prefer for technical diving. The Chucks are OK for DUI suits with socks. Otherwise I find them a bit of a pain, and would prefer a aquasock as mentioned if I ABSOLUTELY had to rent fins.

It is quite common for drysuit diving. The act as a redneck minimalist Rock Boot.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom