Rent a dive computer or buy cheap till I can afford a shearwater Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my part of the world, rental rates for a DC are around $16 a day. Call it $100 per vacation.

Here are two DC's from Leisure Pro that are roughly twice the weekly rental.

Oceanic "Veo 180" Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer

Mares Puck Wrist Computer

That's what I was thinking too. Within a couple of vacations you'll have your costs of buying an inexpensive computer out and you'll still be able to flip them on Ebay when you're ready to upgrade.

I would think if you're planning on renting over a couple of vacations that buying will ultimately be a cheaper option. Don't forget that on vacation you have to rent the computer for the whole period of diving, even if you skip a day or two of diving. This is necessary so the computer calculates the surface interval correctly.

Also, I agree with Lynne´s advice. OLED computers are expensive. Having bifocals put in your mask might be cheaper.

R..

As a Five Instructor I would recommend a Suunto Zoop or D4i. Diving one a year or so, any of those DCs will accommodate all your diving needs. I am also a Tec diver and own a Petrel. It is a great DC but like a few have already said, its more than you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be the unpopular one here.

Save your money until you can afford a Petrel. In my opinion, the Petrel is the ONLY computer to ever buy. Cut tables and use a watch until you can afford one. I'm guessing you are doing very recreational dives.

Yes, a Petrel is overkill for nearly all recreational divers, but it's always the simplest computer on the planet to use. Compare that with it's aggressive price point and Shearwater's unparalleled customer support, and it's a no brainer. Sure, you won't use all of the features for probably years to come, but who knows, you just might start doing more advanced dives, and you won't outgrow the DC.

Thank you all for your great advice. From the suggestions for cheap dc computers, nitrox courses and Vplanner to superlyte27 suggesting getting the petrel anyway. I think I'll be buying a mares puck for my husband right away--who, being a computer geek, is a gadget junky--for this trip. Then we'll end up buying a petrel for our next dive trip because even though it may be more than we need my husband is going to LOVE playing around with it. The prescription masks sound like a must for us, but I don't know who to go to for that, my local dive shop or an eye doctor? My husband wears contacts. I don't, though I am going quite farsighted as I age and do use reading glasses. Do I need a prescription mask?

Dive Rite is probably the cheapest option around for prescription masks. Buy the mask, then buy the lenses that match your glasses prescription. There's lots of prescription masks out there, but Dive Rite seems to be the cheapest, by a significant amount.

let me know if you need some help. I can put you in touch with the right people when you are ready.

I use a dive rite gauge reader mask. It has 2.0 diopter bifocals ground in. Not quite my prescription but good enough. If all you are experiencing is age related close reading degeneration, they will probably be just fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all for your great advice. From the suggestions for cheap dc computers, nitrox courses and Vplanner to superlyte27 suggesting getting the petrel anyway. I think I'll be buying a mares puck for my husband right away--who, being a computer geek, is a gadget junky--for this trip. Then we'll end up buying a petrel for our next dive trip because even though it may be more than we need my husband is going to LOVE playing around with it. The prescription masks sound like a must for us, but I don't know who to go to for that, my local dive shop or an eye doctor? My husband wears contacts. I don't, though I am going quite farsighted as I age and do use reading glasses. Do I need a prescription mask?

If you just need a plain bifocal mask, Scuba.com is also good place to get them. A subset of their masks can be fitted for a small price with a bifocal lens of your choice. I would recommend the same correction as you use for reading close up, say a foot away from you eyes.

More great advice. I'll be checking into the masks over the next few days, prescription for the hub and gauge reader for me. I may check in later with more questions. Can't thank you all enough!...........................................................Dive! Dive! Dive!

Any good dive shop can get you prescription lenes for a mask that accepts them. You just need to know your prescription.

My Shearwater is the best computer I have ever used. I have an older model that has been bullet proof for many years and lots of dives. Simplest computer I have ever used. It's is alot of computer for rec diving and I know mine will not just give you a safety stop info like rec. computers will. It's designed as a deco computer and will give me all the deco info I need though.

Back
Top Bottom