Suggestion Rename forum: DIR -> GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Subcooled

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do It Right.

Right. A back plate is the absolutely wrong piece of equipment for certain types of diving (sump diving). Hence, GUE would be the neutral and appropriate term for a certain equipment configuration & procedures. Besides, give credit to the organization that deserves it. It's about time to forget absolute truths.

So you're saying I'm a pompous ******* even though I'm not DIR or GUE simply because I'm uninformed of the technicalities and don't fully understand so I ask questions?
It's fine if I'm a pompous *******, I've been called worse.
Maybe clear that up a little for me.
Thanx

Did I say YOU were a pompous *******? I don't think I did. You may want to reread my post.

As far as the rest of your post, I will restate what I said earlier: GUE is not "the real thing"...it's one interpretation of DIR.

DIR was never intended to be the end all be all of gear configuration....the rhetoric spread around in the 1990's made it that way.

The posters decrying DIR for how "mean spirited" DIR posting was in the 90's....may be forgetting that in the 90's.....there was something going on almost like the plot in a Bond Movie.... there were two very different sides, pitted against each other. There was intrigue, and there were lives at stake, literally.
This was a time when tech diving was just being created, and it was the "Wild West" as far as gear, training for this, and protocols for deep diving.

DIR was able to get traction, much like the Bond character...because of the super-villain....the evil other side--the threat posed by "Every man for himself" Dive Training....the threat of "Any gear you like is fine--Personal Preference for everyone, regardless of rationales, testing, or functions. There were so many bad ideas being "
SOLD" on the internet, that Diving needed something to balance the deck.....

In the absence of the supervillain, the Bond character could be perceived as something far afield of socially acceptable...and this is my metaphoric explanation for the tone of DIR in the 90's...it was that way, because it needed to be for the war that was being waged....Today, the world is very different, and DIR is not offensive by it's practitioners today..at least it is not supposed to be :)

I agree with you Dan. The DIR psychosis of the 90's was trying to combat this bat**** ideology that was creating divers that looked like they were getting ready for a moon landing. DIR is much more flexible than it was portrayed back then. I look at DIR as a baseline concept, where changes in configuration are acceptable, but there has to be a legitimate reason to deviate from the standard rig....ie: sidemount.

I agree with you Dan. The DIR psychosis of the 90's was trying to combat this bat**** ideology that was creating divers that looked like they were getting ready for a moon landing. DIR is much more flexible than it was portrayed back then. I look at DIR as a baseline concept, where changes in configuration are acceptable, but there has to be a legitimate reason to deviate from the standard rig....ie: sidemount.

Blasphemy, change the DIR equipment configuration? You're Gonna Die.

Lmao... Use the right tool for the right job. I don't see how that can ever be non DIR.

On that note.....I'm outa here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm told (some) GUE Instructors go to Edd for their sidemount training. :wink:
It's important to have the Halcyon Contour dialed in.:cool2:

On that note.....I'm outa here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UTD Z-isolator is a highly sought after piece of kit among all "DIR" sidemounters. I know I've read some of Kev's post who's a well respected UTD authority on SB, he'll tell you all about it.

Well I'm going to stick with my wetsuit with steel tank, one single second stage, backpack with no BC, my spear gun, and my long fins, oh yes and solo. As far as I'm concerned I'm about as DIR as it gets.... for me.
You guys have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom