Suggestion Rename forum: DIR -> GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Subcooled

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do It Right.

Right. A back plate is the absolutely wrong piece of equipment for certain types of diving (sump diving). Hence, GUE would be the neutral and appropriate term for a certain equipment configuration & procedures. Besides, give credit to the organization that deserves it. It's about time to forget absolute truths.

In fairness, BMW may have been the ultimate driving machine prior to the introduction of Tesla automobiles.

hmm, different preference here. BMW is great, but it is in no way compare to Porsche in terms of "driver's car", even at the similar price point. And I am not a fan of Tesla here either. For the cost of Tesla, I will take MB S550. But again, it is my personal preference..

the point is, there is no right or wrong in diving. and I don't think there is an "ultimate" in automobile. What is right or "ultimate" for me, maybe be for other.

Are you kidding....the Lamborghini Gallardo is the ultimate car for the road...For someone that likes to drive fast on mountains and curvy roads....real driving. Not the straight roads like we have in South Fla :-(

LOL must be time go move this thread to the Pub too.

I see dir as a process and gue as an organization

I'm neither DIR nor am I GUE trained.
However, form what I gather DIR has lost a lot of it's original identity and meaning. Anybody these days can claim they are doing it right and call themselves DIR. This could be using poodle jackets, split fins, ankle weights, dangling consoles, and tank bangers. to the people who use this stuff it makes perfect sense, so in their minds they are DIR.
Just to give an example of how things change and how definitions get tweeked to suit certain people, we have a thread going on about whether or not a soft fabric back pad/pack is actually a "backplate" under the definition of BP/W. I say it's not, but others say it is. What does GUE or DIR say? They are the ones who pretty much brought back the plate/wing system and mainstreamed it.
If it is then I'm going to start eating my dinner on a piece of canvas since it's now considered a "plate"

The term DIR also has a stigma and many think of it in a negative way.
I say start a separate GUE forum for the purists since the term DIR has been pretty much compromised (FUBAR'd).

Just my .02 (from someone who probably should even be in this thread.)

What about people (like me) who dive that way... but don't have any GUE certs?

Maybe we coukd have a DIR-NOS (Not otherwise specified) subforum?

:shocked2:
You can still dive DIR without any cert. Problem is only that people with a cert think they are more :wink:
I dive DIR without cert and only if I can use it. When diving SM, then it is not DIR of course. SM is freedom, everything is ok.
My ccr diving is absolutely DIR: Diving Inspiration Rebreather.

Ok, now back to serious, I think DIR is ok as forum, we don't need more sub-forums.

I'm neither DIR nor am I GUE trained.
However, form what I gather DIR has lost a lot of it's original identity and meaning. Anybody these days can claim they are doing it right and call themselves DIR. This could be using poodle jackets, split fins, ankle weights, dangling consoles, and tank bangers. to the people who use this stuff it makes perfect sense, so in their minds they are DIR.
Just to give an example of how things change and how definitions get tweeked to suit certain people, we have a thread going on about whether or not a soft fabric back pad/pack is actually a "backplate" under the definition of BP/W. I say it's not, but others say it is. What does GUE or DIR say? They are the ones who pretty much brought back the plate/wing system and mainstreamed it.
If it is then I'm going to start eating my dinner on a piece of canvas since it's now considered a "plate"

The term DIR also has a stigma and many think of it in a negative way.
I say start a separate GUE forum for the purists since the term DIR has been pretty much compromised (FUBAR'd).

Just my .02 (from someone who probably should even be in this thread.)
Eric,
Anyone that wants to know about DIR, can do searches for the original DIR information from George Irvine....He Bill Mee, and myself are the ones that put most of it out in the 90's on rec.scuba, and the tech dive list and cavers. And there were the videos, DIR 1, DIR 2, and DIR 3.
It is very easy to see exactly what is intended to be DIR, and what is not --George was very emphatic about this :)

No one has changed DIR...it is now, what it was then. A compendium of what George and JJ thought were the best ideas in diving, up to around 2004. Everything they thought was a conflicting, or poor idea, was defined, and stripped out--and this was a huge volume from the industry. All that was defective then, is still defective today.

The videos are an easy way to get exposed...here is DIR 3 for anyone visiting this thread, that has not yet seen DIR by George :)

[video=youtube;TD4K0SzZijI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD4K0SzZijI&[/video]

Is there any difference in gear set up or protocols between GUE and UTD?

Some yes and some no. Generally, ideas such as initial training (fundies/essentials), gear and config, std gases, mindeco etc are very similar.

One of the founders of UTD was the training director of GUE so they are very similar.

On the west coast I dive with UTD and GUE teams and they integrate very well.

Both agencies have their standards posted so it's easy to compare them.

Gear requirements/config are almost identical as well as most protocols when it comes to back mounted, open circuit diving. Although I've been out of the GUE loop for over 10 years so there are more current GUE guys that can add their 2 PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom