Removing Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my Hog harness with a grand total of four OW dives--haven't had any problems with it yet. If it ever has to come off in a hurry, my "quick release device" is living in a sheath by my waist belt buckle.

The POINT is that with the addition of the quick release buckles you don't HAVE to cut yourself out and RUIN the harness.... Sheesh.

limeyx:
Yeah, I found myself being dragged down by a set of 98's when I forgot to get the waist strap out of the crotch strap trying to get back onto Rjacks boat, and had both arms stuck in the shoulder straps in 160 feet of water.

You can only imagine the comedy that ensued with my Donald-duck style helium-induced cries of "inflate inflate" as my buddy tried ineffectually to "save me"

Breathe off long hose and keep the inflator in the left hand... to make sure the rig doesnt sink after you take it off. :)

Ben_ca:
Breathe off long hose and keep the inflator in the left hand... to make sure the rig doesnt sink after you take it off. :)

yes, all well and good as long as your "buddy" doesn't try to "help" you by essentially pinning both hands behind your back with your arm straps as soon as you've deflated your wing.

yeah, I had a reg in my mouth but that's gonna do me no good with arms pinned as I plummet to the bottom...

That's why you have the inflator in your hand.. so you can float up and flounder aroundon the surface whilst your buddies snap away with their cameras for later slideshows and posting on all the forums :)

SparticleBrane:
I have found that pulling the shoulder D-rings out off your body with your thumbs helps things tremendously.

That's what I do, too.

I saw an interesting variation on the continuous weave harness. This guy in Bellingham, Washington, put a quick-release buckle on one side of his continuous-weave shoulder harness. When he released the buckle it gave him another 6 inches of slack but he still had a continuous weave webbing harness.

If the buckle ever broke, the shoulder strap was still intact - just a little looser, that's all.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom