Removing dump valve retaining balls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last weekend a very experienced buddy had a buoyancy problem that was somewhat unusual. He normally wears about 14 lbs of lead with an aluminum tank and a 7mm full suit. For a few dives he chose to switch to a large steel tank that he knew would be considerably more negative than the aluminum one. He did not want to mess with his weight belt, so he chose to wear the full weight belt which he KNEW would make him somewhat overweighted. He wears a big scuba pro stabilizer jacket which has like 50 lbs of buoyancy, so I didn’t think much about it when he asked me what to do about the weighting issue.

We were diving together (but actually solo) so I didn’t really see the incident, but apparently he made it to the surface with no problem and then Murphy’s Law became applicable. He said that somehow the ball on the rear dump valve (of the BC) got caught on something? And began dumping all his air.

He did not want to ditch the belt and kept struggling to re-inflate the BC and to kick and exert himself as he waited for the boat to pick him up from his drift dive. When I got aboard he looked spent complaining of a headache etc. He breathed some oxygen and went to the rack until dinner time. Ruined the rest of his diving day. The next day he was ready to dive and was fine.

Three lessons I guess:

Don’t deliberately dive an overweighted rig; even if it is convenient.

If you ain’t gonna use the rear dump; cut the stupid ball off. I personally have never learned to use the rear dump and cut the string (and ball) off my BC.

Another example where somebody should have dumped their weightbelt.

Ya, it is very easy to see where it can get caught once you start strapping on stages. I've had a couple of times where I've had to go searching for the dump because it got hung up behind my deco bottle. I'm going to go cut mine off now.

P.S. definitely try using that thing once in a while. Ventiing from the rear dump while swimming is effortless and you can keep your trim. Once I tried it, I've never gone back. Now I only use my inflator to dump when I'm on the surface.

Thats only two lessons. Good to hear that your buddy is ok-- definetley something to think about!

I switched from a Scubapro Classic Plus to a DSS wing and I kind of miss the ball on the rear dump. I was thinking about canibalizing the Scubapro for it. It's hard for me to see how he entangled it.

I had a situation where the ball on my rear dump got stuck between my deco tanks and deflated me. I was breathing O2 and suddenly dropped 5'! I cut the ball off and put it on my reel :D

I would never cut mine off.

I have read stories on both sides, ones like this one where the ball got caught and vented the bc, but then ones where someone needed to vent their bladder as they were doing the Poseidon missile inverted, but had cut the ball off and couldn't find the string.

life is full of choices - both situations could get you hurt or worse....

-s

Cut the ball off and tie a knot on the end of the pull cord. I was leary of this modification when it was first "suggested" to me but it turned out to be a non issue- I've never had a moments trouble finding the dump cord. Even wearing heavy gloves it's a non issue.

As for using the rear dump I'd say it gets used about 99% of the time, The inflator hose dump only gets used when I'm on the surface and I'm beginning my initial descent.

Worst case you can still feel the dump valve even in heavy gloves and the string is always poking out the middle. As long as there is a knot on the end of it, you can still pull it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom