Removing an epoxy lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Creed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I dropped off my steel 72cf tank at a dive shop in Wichita last weekend. I told the person working that it was epoxy lined, and she said that it was no problem. Today, I get the news that the company they use for tank inspections won't VIP it because of the lining. So, my choices are to find a company that knows how to inspect lined tanks, or strip the lining out. Assuming that the lining is intact, should I leave it and find another inspector? If not, could I strip out the lining using a home built tumbler?

Creed:
Well, I dropped off my steel 72cf tank at a dive shop in Wichita last weekend. I told the person working that it was epoxy lined, and she said that it was no problem. Today, I get the news that the company they use for tank inspections won't VIP it because of the lining. So, my choices are to find a company that knows how to inspect lined tanks, or strip the lining out. Assuming that the lining is intact, should I leave it and find another inspector? If not, could I strip out the lining using a home built tumbler?

Creed, I am stuck in Kansas as well and the same exact thing happened to me two weeks ago in Wichita. Actually, this has been going on with the epoxy liners since the early 80s when it was found that in a few the liner was damaged--probably during inspections --and rust was occuring under it. I have had several such tanks tumbled in the past to remove the liner in other places I have lived. However, most places no longer will tumble a tank for the length of time needed to remove the liner. They prefer you to junk a perfectly good tank and buy another from them.
The dive shops here are pretty poor by the way. N

is important. IF the liner is intact, the cylinder can be put back in service.

IF the liner is NOT intact, good luck tumbling that stuff out.

I have attempted to tumble the epoxy liner out of cylinders where the liner had been compromised. After 8 DAYS of tumbling 8 HOURS a day, I gave up.

Cylinders are relatively inexpensive for amount of service life we get from them. My actions have been to make a nice garden gong, and get a new cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Chris

There are chemical products that will strip the paint. Aircraft stripper, available at body supply shops will have that. It should remove it fairly effortlessly. There is some stuff available at home depot that works quite well, the name escapes me but it includes a spray bottle. The only issue I see with doing this is the chemical content. I would suspect it would need an oxygen service cleaning to be sure all that stripper has been removed. I've never done it with tanks but have extensively with cars. I would check with someone who does the oxygen service to ensure it can be cleaned after.

the epoxy coating on the inside of older steel cylinders is EPOXY.

Not paint.

Even if the remover took away the liner, the cylinder wall is still porous enough to possibly trap some of the remover, only to be released at depth...yeah...that is exactly what you do not want. If you should not breath the fumes in a room, you DO NOT want to breath this stuff at depth.

Chris

Epoxy, power coat or anodizing, it does not matter, they are all coatings and can be stripped. As far as porosity, I would definately agree with aluminum as it is porous (thats why you can anodize it) but mild steel I am not sure of. Stainless would be no problem. If you don't want to strip it and tumbling is too expensive, you are SOL. Glass beading is about the only thing left but many will argue against that because of the integrity of the steel. I know most epoxy is heat sensitive, that would be another way but again you'd be compromising the integrity of the steel.

Creed:

Steel Tank Cleaning

The epoxy coating is slippery so it hinders the abrasive action of tumbling media.

Glass beading needs to be directed at specific areas and at close range, so this process through a small opening with manual technique will not work.

The epoxy could be stripped chemically, then the tank could be tumbled. This time the tumbling would remove traces of epoxy and chemical residue. HOWEVER, the bare steel will immediately start to oxidize (rust). This will be a contiuous problem unless the tank is immediately recoated.

It would be cheaper, easier,safer etc. to buy a used 72 on ebay for $50.00

Trash it or make a windchime out of it.

C'mon it's got to be over 20 years old what's it really worth. I have 17 steels I'm getting rid of. Started with 20, 3 had liners didn't even bother with them they went straight in the dumpster.

DM

akscubainst:

C'mon it's got to be over 20 years old what's it really worth. I have 17 steels I'm getting rid of. Started with 20, 3 had liners didn't even bother with them they went straight in the dumpster.

DM

I agree, dump it. I kinda like saving money where possible but some thing just are not feasable.

akscubainst:

DM

Tell you what, I'll pay shipping for any you don't want :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom