Remington Enters the AR-15 Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't *need* one, but it sure would be a nice addition, I think:

lgsil_r15.jpg

Remington Model R-15 VTR™ Modular Repeating Rifles

Nice looking rifle, I'm thinking varmint & predator hunters will like it. They should, as they got help from Byron South in designing the beast with those hunters in mind.

MSRP is $999, including a lcoking hard case, so it should be available for a far better price. I'm thinking under $800 likely.

Since I already have a Colt National Match HBAR in 223, one of these in 204 would be fun.

I firmly believe that you NEED to have every caliber on the market. Specific round for a specific job! :eyebrow:

.223 makes a great varmint gun.

On a side note, the Army is finally revisiting the idea of replace the AR-16. Both being considered are H&K's. They have an awesome .45 cal machine gun that has really managable recoil, and accurate as well. I think it's been way overdue. The downside is that Colt would go in the tank, literally. Another stupid government move switching from 1911's to the Beretta 92fs....

Another stupid government move switching from 1911's to the Beretta 92fs....

Hard to teach a 18 year old to keep the 1911 "cocked and locked" so when he drops it that it won't fire on him. Most people can't shoot a 45 worth a darn anyway. It would be much more wasted ammo in most peoples cases.

On a side note, the Army is finally revisiting the idea of replace the AR-16. Both being considered are H&K's.
I thought the Pentagon "old boys club" put a stop to that?

If not, a good thing. The AR-15/M-16 never really had the stoppage issues fixed, other than with rigorous maintenance that is not always possible. Direct gas impingement always struck me as dumb and dirty, but what do I know, I was trained with and qualified on the M-14...:D

One interesting improvement to the M-16 operating mechanism was proposed by H&K I believe, being a new upper with piston operation. Simply swap out the uppers and most all the problems are solved. Never happen due to logistics and politics though......

they're been talking about replacing the M16 for a long time. Much has been developed, but I haven't seen anything yet to indicate anything is gonna happen any time soon.

Maybe it is just me but if I wanted to go out and touch someone a clasic Remington 700 in .308 with a bipod, sniper scope, and a hot load would do it.

Need semi or full auto a bit closer? Nothing beats the M-14 for stopping power.

A little faster and close in - UZI

My 700 BDL in 30-06 is my pet rifle. I've been shooting it since 1976 & have worked up some nice loads for it.

My AR is primarily a paper punch, but goes afield on occasion with smaller mags. It has a 1 in 7 barrel & really likes 68 gr bullets rather than the lighter ones. With my loads & 68 gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets I get 100 yard sub-MOA groups with no problems.

And then there are my other rifles for various things. A 444 Marlin I picked up a few years ago has rapidly become a favorite of mine. I call this one Thumper:

stu444.jpg

I have seven AR15/M16/M4 variants in the gun safe and after a while they grow on you.

That is an accomplishment for me as back in my competitve shooting days I shot an M14 in Ntional Match competition and an M1 Carbine in light rifle tactical matches (usually beating the uber cool compensated and highly modified AR-15 carbine variants of the day, much to their chagrin.) I also shot a 1911 in both tactical and Bullseye matches, so I have a lot of affection for that gun and only carried a 9mm under protest.

As an aside, I hate the M9 with a passion. It fits my hand poorly, is overly fragile, overly large for the caliber, is not overly accurate and can be dissembled with the slide totally removed in one slick movement if someone knows how. Not cool if it is your gun that is now slideless.

The AR-15 is exceptionally accurate in varmint weight configurations, in short barrelled configurations and in match tuned configuiration. My last couple years of NM copmetition I used an AR-15 and my rapid fire scores were just enough better to offset the loss in points at 600 yards - and that was before the cirrent crop of really slick wind bucking heavy weight 68 and 75 grain bullets were available. Sad to day, but the truth is that a well tuned AR-15 is superior to a match grade M14 for national match shooting.

I recently started tactical competition again with a 1911 in .45 ACP of course - and with a near XM-177E2 clone. I am using a 12" heavy barrel for a 16" OAL barrel and better accuracy) The handling is superb and the weapon is much more reliable than anything I was ever issued by uncle sam - as in totally flawless reliability.

The low cost and easy reloability of .223/5.56mm is a real plus and if you don't have to stop more than paper or steel plates, it is ideal and allows you to shoot a whole lot moe than if you used a .308/7.62x51mm round.

I am getting 1/2 MOA accuracy with 55 grain M193 clone ammunition in the varmit weight barrels and 3/4 to 1.25 MOA accuracy in everything else - including 1.25 MOA accuracy with an original M16A1 upper on a partial fence SP-1 lower.

My favorite 7.62mm rifles are:

For overall appeal and handling: a mint conditon wood stocked Australian L1A1 built on a metric Imbel lower.
For accuracy: An SAR-8 HK-91/G3 clone with G3 furniture and a scope. (it is a sub MOA rifle with the right load - but is very hard on cases - forget about reloading them)
For portabiliy: The SAR-8 with a telescoping G3 stock.
For economics: A Romanian PSL (a Draganunoz looking rifle built on an RPK receiver and operating system, designed as a designatied marksman rifle rather than as a designated sniper rifle like the dragunov. It is consequently only a 1 MOA rifle with the right load rather than a 1/2 MOA rifle like a dragunov.) Surplus 7.62X54R ammunition is comparatively cheap and the light ball (150 grain) ammunition used by the PSL is reasonably accurate from most sources.

I am also still a fan of the M1 Carbine, but it is no no longer all that cheap to shoot as surplus ammunition is not dirt cheap like it used to be, commerical ammunition is als not cheap and surplus bullets for reloading are now in short supply as all the CMP M1 Carbines have created substantial demand.

The bad news is that I have now moved to a metropolitan area where shooting opportunities are severely limited, so the formerly shootable collection has been relegated to an investment left in storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom