Reminder to check your tanks for CO !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the Cocodrillo incident, a lot of people are aware of CO dangers and some are carrying analyzers. You might not see anyone at any particular dive op on Coz, but on any given day I would guess at least 3-4 people are analyzing gas. If the op did have its own compressor, that is much more likely to have given the results you reported. Especially different levels in different tanks because they would probably be filled directly from the compressor. I don't think you would get those kind of results from Meridiano because I'm pretty sure the gas is banked. There would be a lot more identical results.

I blend and boost my own gas, but I still test it for CO. I found it one time when my booster burned a seal. It can happen no matter how careful you are. So the OP's message is still valid. Get an analyzer and always test your gas.

I know of one Coz Op who got his own compressor because he still had problems with Meridiano tanks even after the CO monitors were installed. Operating correctly and turn off when you're supposed to is still required.

So if you analyze a tank and it has a measurable amount of CO, but meet standards what do you expect the shop to do? What do you expect a reasonable response from the shop owner would be?

So if you analyze a tank and it has a measurable amount of CO, but meet standards what do you expect the shop to do? What do you expect a reasonable response from the shop owner would be?

In Mexico, there isn't a government standard on how much carbon monoxide can be in a tank. For me personally I want zero CO in a tank; if that's not available, I test tanks until I find one that has 2 ppm or less CO. If I can't find a tank I'm comfortable with, I don't dive.

When customers expect clean air, the industry makes an effort to follow through. If nobody tests their air or complains about CO in a tank, it's business as usual, and the tank fillers have little reason to improve air quality.

Here in Texas at least, restaurant inspection scores are commonly published - with details on what the failures were. Wouldn't it be nice if divers could expect the same on air sources. Since we get nothing of assurance, it falls on us to protect ourselves.

But then, I am not shy about walking into restaurant kitchens. I don't ask; I just go look.

CO in a tank from Meridiano did cause the death of an American cave diver a couple of years ago.

Yikes. I hadn't heard about that. I'll see if I can find a thread on it. Very sad.

This was my experience in Coz with CO 5 years ago:

I've posted about it previously as well. I tested several tanks on the boat that day. There was just 1 tank that consistently made my CO monitor beep (I tested it several times, along with other tanks, and had tested a number of other tanks throughout that same trip; this was the only notable tank). The divemaster ended up diving that tank. As I recall it was the second dive of the day, so not a very deep one.

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but I recall that there were usually a few folks that showed up to do the usual "there's nothing to see here, folks" hand-waving when it comes to posts about CO and Cozumel. Maybe they check their own tanks instead of nay saying on the Internet these days :)

Bad gas can happen anywhere. Better safe than sorry, I say. Put another way, better alive than dead.

Edit: it doesn't look like the YouTube embed is working properly or something; the video just says "Error, please try again later". Here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzDl0UTBEs

Anyone wanna dive that tank?

The Cozumel incident referenced above was mutually decided to keep secret, I am told - and it's their call. They went thru hell that day, so I wouldn't argue.
Edit: it doesn't look like the YouTube embed is working properly or something; the video just says "Error, please try again later". Here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzDl0UTBEs

Anyone wanna dive that tank?
Just use the characters after the = sign between the yt & /yt....

It still didn't work when I edited and previewed the post, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. Thanks for the info!

The Cozumel incident referenced above was mutually decided to keep secret, I am told - and it's their call. They went thru hell that day, so I wouldn't argue.

Fair enough.

Edit

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-and-incidents/399565-american-tourist-dies-while-diving-cozumel-caves.html

(Apparently I'd posted in this thread; I'd forgotten about this incident)

Cavechat.org

Cozumel Fatality Cocodrillo

Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource
(this one requires a login)

Cave diver dies in Cozumel

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/index.php?/topic/2533-carbon-monoxide-poisoning/

Since we are on this topic, what CO-analyser are you guys using and can recommend?

Since we are on this topic, what CO-analyser are you guys using and can recommend?
Periodic calibrations are important so your answer probably depends on what's available with local support in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom