Reminder to check your tanks for CO !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
While in Cozumel last week, I had 2 scuba tanks that registered 7 ppm of carbon monoxide (CO). I tested a few more until I found a tank with 2 ppm, which I used, and changed my dive plan to a very shallow dive. So please don't let your guard down or fall into a false sense of security that your tank is okay. If you've got a tester, take it and use it. If you don't have a tester, think about getting one.

What dive op were you using?

Blue Angel

The young man working the counter helped me go through the tanks until I found one I was happy with. What he did after that I don't know.

Thanks for the useful reminder. We should all own and use a tester. Testing of all thanks should be a routine, specially in "exotic" locations, where the quality standards of the filling stations might be questionable. I know about at least one other occasion with one of the bigger filling stations on the Riviera Maya, when there was a whole lot of tanks filled with "bad" gas.

Testing of all tanks is right, CavePete. I've gone for a year without getting any tanks with CO contamination. But I kept testing anyway. It's a good thing I did.

First time I used my brand new tester down south it stated beeping with 30ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First time I used my brand new tester down south it stated beeping with 30ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whoa, that is high. It probably saved your life, or at least a severe flu-like illness :)

Testing tanks has become routine with me, even here in the states, because you never know if they contain CO unless you test them.

The young man working the counter helped me go through the tanks until I found one I was happy with. What he did after that I don't know.

...not as reassuring an outcome as I'd hoped to hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom