Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been on a boat in 6 years, but back then I always used a mesh bag for my weights only and a hockey bag for everything else. Don't want the weights damaging any other stuff.
How is it diving in hockey equipment? I found that my goalie pads are really buoyant.

How is it diving in hockey equipment? I found that my goalie pads are really buoyant.
Isn't it obvious? You use your stick to hook lobster out from under ledges.

Isn't it obvious? You use your stick to hook lobster out from under ledges.
Can you back fin in skates?

Can you back fin in skates?
No, but you could do inverted backwards crossovers when ice diving.

I once had a guide lose his chit over this behaviour of mine. He later accosted me at dinner with friends (one was an instructor from same shop as the guide). He said I was an accident waiting to happen. I suggested that he needed some more experience out in the real world

Hey, he's not totally wrong, I suppose. Scubadada and I could eventually have some sort of strange accident based on our wait for the other divers.
Did he explain why your behaviour was so dangerous? (in his view)

Those big rigid rolling gear bags are for airplane travel. They do NOT belong on the boat. You need a mesh bag for the boat. If you’re too cheap to spring for a mesh or other soft sided bag for the boat, you shouldn’t be diving.
This really varies by location and boat. It's pretty common and accepted practice for people to bring big roller bags onto most dive boats in southern Calif (the bigger ones that can take 20 to 30 divers.) The crew expects it, usually has space on the bow (or similar area) to store all the empty bags after everyone has set up their gear.

So maybe the best advice for this issue is that if you're not certain what the expectation for bags is on the boat you're going to board, find out in advance from someone who knows.

Did he explain why your behaviour was so dangerous? (in his view)

Yes, he had explained it on the boat when I'd said that I was going to drop to the sand at 20' and wait for the group.

The next morning when I showed up for the day's dives, he told me that I wouldn't be diving that day.

I picked up my gear and walked across the street to another shop. As soon as my friend understood his intent with regard to me, she did the same. (She'd been in an advanced lesson the day before). We had a blast diving with the other shop for the following week. I dove with that second shop on each of other trips, which were frequent, every time after that until the owner sold the shop. Then I moved on to West End Divers where I also had a blast for many multiple of trips.

The shop owner of the first place with the guide (who was an American working his way up the tech ladder) apologized to me for years. That was embarrassing.

Oh, it should be noted that despite my disagreement with him and me telling him that it was SOP for me, depending on the dive site and conditions, I followed his instruction/demand that I wait on the surface for the group.

The problem was that I had questioned his Ah Thor A TEE.

I
Oh, it should be noted that despite my disagreement with him and me telling him that it was SOP for me, depending on the dive site and conditions, I followed his instruction/demand that I wait on the surface for the group.

What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate.

Classic management fallacy; fixation on process not objective.

Voting with your feet is the standard workaround. Many of us have switched to other dive shops for similar reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom