Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people have severe allergies to where the presence of nuts or strong scents nearby will trigger a reaction.
It takes 0 effort to not bring common allergens, or at least waiting to open a bag of peanuts for when you're in open air and the wind will blow any peanut dust away from others
It does take a bit of awareness and effort if it’s not your allergy, but any deployment of an epipen by somebody else for their allergy means the end of diving for everybody onboard.

Turn your gas on before diving. Check that it works three times (facing the kit, when you get in the kit, before you jump). Make sure you've gas in the BCD - do that twice (when you get in the kit, before you jump). Check the gas pressures twice.

Try to enjoy it.

How about it being the responsibility of the allergic person to make sure everyone knows as soon as everyone is on the boat? Maybe right before captain/DM makes announcements?

I’ll second the peanut thing but ONLY because the smell of raw peanuts is disgusting.

It depends, shellfish or fish fish? I think they can see seafood, just not ingest it. They might also be allergic to eating insects.

Recipe: Cicada cookies

BWRAF

That’s a blast from the past. I have a BSAC buddy who makes me go through that song and dance routine on every dive.

bruce willis ruins all films. still goes through my head before every dive. i like to show my dive buddy pictures of my baby girl so they understand what they're working for.

I am one of those people that have a severe food allergy and it is my issue not everybody else's. I have had it my entire life and have learned to work around it. When I travel I pick foods I know are safe and if I'm not sure I don't eat it and I bring my own snacks. The first thing I do when I get on board for a liveaboard or at a resort is ask the chef what should I avoid eating and why I don't ask for special dishes. If I'm on a day boat I politely decline any snacks offered unless I know they are safe and again bring my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom