Reminder: Lake Murray Wine and Cheese Contest and Artic Dive, Feb 25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UndrWatrDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Reminder.... the Diving Rebels Scuba Club ARCTIC DIVE / Wine and
Cheese Contest is this Saturday, Feb 25th, at Marietta Landing, Lake
Murray Oklahoma. A dry suit representative is coming up from San
Antonio, so we would like to have anyone who has the slightest
inclination to try a dry suit to show up. He will not have any
undergarments, so bring your own dry/warm clothes.

Fabulous food, a raffle, a silent auction, and a simulated bonfire
(thanks to the burn ban) are in store for those who attend. Tickets
at the event are $15.

Thanks in advance to Surface Interval Scuba, Arlington Scuba, Tuckers
Dive Shop, Scuba Toys and Emerald Sea Divers for their generous assistance
in helping the club with this event!

Attached is a pdf format flyer about the outing. Looks like a nice
weekend coming up, so come out and try dry suit diving and some good
food!

How about a report, photos, etc for those of us who didnt make it?

Willie

'Wow.... the weather Friday was crazy huh??
It took me 6 hours to get from Paris to S.W. Ft. Worth. I went to see a play my Daughter was in. ( Little Shop of Horrors ... it was great):D
After that I went to Lake Murray and got there at 12 Midnight. It was raining like Hell I couldn't even set up my tent so I just slept in the truck. I kept thinking to myself, "Man... are you a sucker , nobody's going to come!!!"
There was just one camper there in the whole park. The Hot Shower House was open though :wink:
A dry suit Rep. showed the next day at 9:00am along with a guy from the LDS in Marietta, OK. The Dry Suit Guy left a couple of hours later. 'can't blame him since nobody was there. It's just as well I guess because it gave people a easy out and a reason not to dive that day. I heard them say, " Oh... Really, Really I would dive today...but the dry suit guy left... (Yea right dude)
Thank God that FrogLady showed at 9:30am.
People started to trickle in and by 1:00 or so there were 20 people.
7 of us went for a dive at about 2:00.
It was cloudy and calm. The air temp was 53 and the water was 44 degrees.
We entered near the "Amusement Park" at Marietta Landing and looked at the boats, motorcycle and platforms ect. Froglady and I and some other guy buddied up for awhile and they went to shore at about 25 minutes. I continued on solo and ended up with a 61 minute dive. ( first one in~last one out)
'Not too many fish ... I only saw two Perch. Vis. was down to about 6 feet we estimated.
All the recent cold water diving was a plus for me I guess so I was ready and comfortable with it all. I still have not found that crashed airplane yet..... I guess I'll just keep looking next time
They had about 10 BBQ grills cookin' up good eats and a fake fire too since there was a burn ban still in effect.
Folks fixed food, some showed off they're big lizards, drank cold beers and everybody had a good time.

Timeliner:
some showed off they're big lizards, .
:11doh: I'm not sure what to make of this piece of information. Hoping my "mind-in-the-gutter-syndrome" is to blame :D

No, really, sounds like you all had a great time - hope to make up there and dive with you guys when it's warmer!!

There is a guy that brings some big Iguanas out there every year. They are pretty big.
As for your mind in the gutter thing :05: LOL....
Well it was a really cold dive so I don't believe anything like that would be going on if ya know what I mean :wink:

thesassyrabbit:
:11doh: I'm not sure what to make of this piece of information. Hoping my "mind-in-the-gutter-syndrome" is to blame :D

Unfortunately, the only large lizard I saw the men with was the four legged breed. :wink: Our "mind-in-the-gutter-syndome" is to blame again. It was really a great weekend.

Timeliner, we need to get together for a dive with a tape measure. Because my measurement of viz and yours never seem to come close. Since I am the most inexperience diver between to two us I willl humbly bow down to your wisdom of measurement and request a lesson or two on viz measurement.

Timeliner, we need to get together for a dive with a tape measure. Because my measurement of viz and yours never seem to come close. Since I am the most inexperience diver between to two us I willl humbly bow down to your wisdom of measurement and request a lesson or two on viz measurement.[/QUOTE]

What did you estimate the Vis. to be the other day? I though it was at least 6 feet.
I kind of go by the "Chin to Fin Method" in my case that would be approx. 5 ft. I could see my fins easy and clear. after that it got fuzzy. I could see where folks were alot farther though. Maybe at about 12-13 feet I would loose somebody all together. I suppose it depends on how clearly they want to see things when they make a call on how far they could see (ie 20/20 ~ 20/30 or bat blind) . I figure if I state that it is less then it really was then nobody gets P-Oed.
We'll bring a string next time :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom