Reminder about (not) touching Honu's - in or out of the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, I saw that news clip. The only time I touch a turtle. He was struggling swimming by me in about 40' of water with fishing line wrapped around his neck and front arm. It was amazing that when I grabbed him to cut the fishing line, he held perfectly still like he knew I was helping him. After I released him, he cruised along and looked back like saying thanks.

Magic moment Greg! Roger freed one once that was wrapped up in one of those morings with the empty bottle on top. They know what help is :D

I see troubled turtles all the time. We helped one in May of last year at Five Caves. He was nicknamed "Hearty". He had a bad case of turtle herpes. The doc on Oahu treated him and performed surgery to remove the fibropapilloma growths. He was then sent back here to Maui to be released back into his native habitat. I am pleased to say I saw him three days ago back in his favorite resting place and he appears to be doing well. Unfortunately there are many other turtles out there that are also sick and in need of help. I regularly see turtles here that have fishing line wrapped around their neck and/or flippers. Many have hooks in them too. I used to photograph them, then I stopped because the pictures were unsettling to some people. I think I am going to go back to taking pics of them again and publicizing the situation more. What do you guys think? Want to see some gross turtle pics? I have them!

I remember that turtle with the growths down atfive graves/caves. We dive there almost every weekend and have noticed that most of the turtles seem healthier. Last year alot of them had the growths. Some of them had their eyes grown over with them and they were blind. It really sucks to see them in that kind of shape.

There's a dead one in a cave at Five Caves now. Have you seen it? I suspect it was a sick one with growths on it's eyes. It found it's way deep into a tight spot and probably could not find it's way out. Pretty sad sight to see...

The one with the growths was there a week and a half ago, poor thing. I did not see the dead one though.

There are a lot more than just one with the fibropapilloma growths Steve....

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

From Wikipedia:

Fibropapillomatosis of sea turtles is probably caused by a herpes-type virus, and is causing an epidemic amongst sea turtles. Sea turtle fibropapillomatosis (FP) was first discovered in 1938. FP is a disease marked by proliferation of benign but debilitating cutaneous fibropapillomas and occasional visceral alien.
In 20% of the cases, FP and herpesvirus are both present. All cases report a max. 2 cm between the FP and herpes spots. These results lead to the conclusion that a chelonian herpesvirus is regularly associated with fibropapillomatosis and is not merely an incidental finding in affected turtles.

You should report the dead turtle...587-0077

Breaks my heart to see the growths. Hubby saw one once, just like you described, with them covering its eyes. I remember that we called someone and they said that they could only help if we drag/bring the animal in....never saw it after that...wonder, if we would have been "caught" dragging it in, if they would have fined us?

Back
Top Bottom