remembering doublehose diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first pool dive in 1971 at 13 years old was on a Voit dbl hose (no one else wanted to use it, and it reminded me of my favorite movie: Creature From the Black Lagoon).
I haven't breathed from one since that day.
So, here's my question. You guys that dive the vintage gear, can you tell me what the difference is breathing from a dbl hose? How does it feel compared to a single hose?

It's different depending on the make and model you have. The balanced royal aquamasters are better than the single stage models ..... my Dacor R4 breaths better than a Dial-a-breath ...... in general they do breath harder as compared to a new balance singlehose regulator like the Scubapro Mk25 ..... you have to get use to the doublehoses banging against your head in rough water, the mouthpiece is not as heavy and the bubbles comming up from the back make a little different noise as you breath ..... it's a great experience to try.

Been playing around with a Aquamaster for about a year now. My experience is that a double hose takes a little more effort to open the demand valve, but once it opens you get a great flow of air.

Hope to get a lot more experience this summer.

I learned how to dive on a double hose reg. in '67 and again in the Navy in '70. I'm glad they are gone and the great new equipment now. I do miss the fact the bubbles exit from the back and not around the face. The drag on breathing was bad on the double hose unless the mouthpiece is above the regulator. It was tough and had very few parts. Easy to fix on the boat but, todays gear is much Much better. B-

dilligaf368:
I learned how to dive on a double hose reg. in '67 and again in the Navy in '70. I'm glad they are gone and the great new equipment now. I do miss the fact the bubbles exit from the back and not around the face. The drag on breathing was bad on the double hose unless the mouthpiece is above the regulator. It was tough and had very few parts. Easy to fix on the boat but, todays gear is much Much better. B-

I am sorry but I must beg to differ. Both of my Royal Aquamaster breath very easily and smoothly and the overall effort is not that much different from a good modern single hose, in fact, they compare to a Conshelf since the first stage of the two are pretty much the same.
Further, double hose regs are not gone, USD equipment is readily avaialbe as are parts and of course Aqualung has the new controversial "Mistral". Gone, I hope they go to my dive bag!!

I am not sure the grear reliance of modern training is all that much better either. Just back from a vintage dive trip, it was so refreshing to see divers with bouyancy control without any BC, the feeling of flying when diving this way is increadible and much better than the plastic equipped dive shop diver of today, but that is just my opinion. N

Rick Inman:
My first pool dive in 1971 at 13 years old was on a Voit dbl hose (no one else wanted to use it, and it reminded me of my favorite movie: Creature From the Black Lagoon).
I haven't breathed from one since that day.
So, here's my question. You guys that dive the vintage gear, can you tell me what the difference is breathing from a dbl hose? How does it feel compared to a single hose?

Rick, some would say modern regs breath easier and actually they do especially on the inhale cycle. The total breathing cycle effort however for a good double hose is not that much greater than a decent modern regulator. There are many differences, exhale effort can be very low, inhalation must overcome some initial higher cracking force but then once begun to flow the effort drops off ---you are supposed to breath with long slow breaths as opposed to the "normal" breathing we are instructed to use with single hose jobs.
There is no purge button, you must learn to clear the hoses of water which is actually very easy. Breathing effort is dependent upon position a bit more than single hose as well and tanks are worn much lower on the back and as close as possible--that is why short doubles were once so popular--they could be worn low and close.
Vintage diving is not really better or worse--it is different--very different and a lot of fun. By the way, you can use a SPG, octapus and LP inflator with most USD regulaotrs via avaialble adapters or if your flying doubles the old ScubaPro and Sherwood double outlet manifolds allow the use of a single hose as a backup and it can do those functions instead. It is fun!!! that is all I can say.
If you want a regulator to dive with don't fool around, get a good Royal Aquamaster, have it rebuilt by one of several guys that are pros at it and enjoy the difference! viva la difference!! N

ScoobieDooo:
Too bad its not more of the brass and chrome design that was popular during the vintage era. This version is loaded with plastic parts and a painted-on finish on the Titan 1st stage. Not really my idea of what oughtta be seen on a $900 US regulator.

I agree...My LDS has one in stock. Definately not worth the money that they are asking for it. Trying to con the owner to let me try it out in their pool...no luck as of yet.

Heck,
One could be 4-5 Vintage DA's or 3-4 Royal's on eBay for the price of the new Mistral. I cant see how anyone would think that this new reg - short of being a collector's item because of limited production - is worth $900! Its box isn't even solid brass! It has a cheesy Titan 1st stage with a silver spray-painted finish. Heck, for $900 one would expect it to at least me chrome plated! Sheesh!

I'm sorry, but my vintage DA is far more solid than this one one - even though I paid more tha I should of for mine...

My DA Aquamaster cost me $140 - a complete rebuild $30 = still a better price on a much better regulator.

I also have recently purchased a Voit Navy DH $120 - The rebuild is costing me another $30 = ditto (same as above)

I am currently looking for a Royal Aquamaster and a "reasonable price"

Yea,
You and most of us! I wish I could get a late model Royal for less than $250 in nice condition!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom