Remember your first dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember my first pool dive 45 years ago at 5' thinking: "this is cool".

Fall 1981, Los Coronados Islands MX (from San Diego) So many urchins we had to stand on our fin tips to do skills. The next day I did my first shore dive at LaJolla Shores. First warm water dives a couple years later in Maui.

Hookah dive when I was maybe 12.

February 2001 at the Iberostar Cozumel. I signed up for the Discover Scuba resort course.
On that first dive, we sae a hawksbill turtle, nurse shark, eagle ray, and a bunch of other stuff. I was hooked. Got the video, and still look at it once in a while.
Started calling my local dive shops shortly after we got home from that trip and signed up for my OW course. Was certified that May.

1975 My buddy and I were 15 and went to a week long scuba camp at a place called Camp Seymour. It's a YMCA camp on the shores of Glen Cove, a shallow inlet in the Puget Sound not far from Tacoma. The water was green, the bottom was sand and silt like a lot of Puget Sound. We didn't go deeper than about 30 feet but seeing the whole new world down there was worth the pain in the butt to get in and out of the wet suits, always damp from the first day on.

August 19, just over a year ago! First OW dive at Breakwater in Monterey and a whole new world opened up to me - a few feet at a time. As novel and fun as pool sessions had been, being in the ocean was exhilarating.

I dont really remember my OW training dives, but I do remember my first dive after training.

This would be in 2003. McAbee Beach in Monterey. Several harbor seals were very frisky, buzzing around us and pulling our fins. Then I felt something on top of me. I turn my head over my shoulder and I am nose to nose with a cute harbor seal. I was so startled that I started laughing right in his/her face. The seal must have taken offense -- it took off.

Since then, Ive had many a fin tugged by a seal, but Ive never had such a close encounter in 100+ dives in Monterey/Carmel.

Ditching it and weights and clawing my way to the surface in two pairs of jeans and my brother's boots was pretty unforgettable.

Why 2 pairs of jeans?

Why 2 pairs of jeans?

Seemed warmer to my ~7 year old brain. Spring fed Canadian lake. I've not revisited it, but similar lake thermoclines are 45°. No wetsuit.

First ocean dive April 1968 Kings Beach Newport, RI, my friend and buddy thru diving classes Paul and I did our 1st ocean dive also the 1st of our checkout dives for certification. The vis was 10'-15' with a heavy fog at the surface. I had a US Divers compass that cost $3.95 among my gear. We got separated from the group and surfaced near rock formations that pop up all around that area. We looked around and saw only fog! No dive flag, no divers, no instructor, we were on our own. We had never been there before and were only kids 15 and 16 years old, we had a debate as what to do and how we probably blew the 1st dive.

Finally I remembered my compass, we knew north was shore so down we went and headed north. We did get to see some cool things among them a 10'+ conger eel chasing down a crab. That was a big eel! We arrived in shallow water and found ourselves in the same cove that we left! The instructor and the rest of the group came out of the water just after we did. Turns out the instructor and the group spent most of their dive looking for us! He told us we did a good job staying together and getting back to shore on our own so we passed!

I went back this past April and did a solo dive at Kings Beach to commemorate 50 great years of diving. :)

The eel got the crab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom