Remake of the movie: "The Deep"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not so sure about The Abyss. I've read numerous discussion threads bashing the "sappiness" of the director's cut version, specifically the stuff regarding the aliens. That version does however conform closest to the book written by Orson Scott Card. However, Card wrote the book from the screenplay, which was written by James Cameron I *think*. Card did a superb job on the book adaptation.

I'll have to rent The Deep I suppose. Isn't Nick Nolte in it?

Yes. Nick Nolte is in the movie: "The Deep". Another great underwater book: Sphere by Michael Crithon. That was made into a movie too. But having Dustin Hoffman and Sharon Stone in it...ruined that movie also. There's a book called "Bahama Heat" about a former Navy Seal that wioundup with a drug problem and ending up diving for cocaine that went down on a shipwreck. That's a great book...I hoping that would be made into a movie someday.

The original 'The Deep' with Bissett, Nolte, and Shaw was quite good. The diving scenes were pretty good and reminded me of the 70's gear that was popular at the time - single primary regulator, no octopus, simple SPG, no BC's. The wreck penetration footage is cool but violates basic wreck safety. No reels, no arrows, no backup regulators, divers get seperated, etc. Scary...

The plot was accurate since the real shipwreck was carrying morphine when it went down. I own the movie as well. I didn't know that the new movie (to be released June 2005) was actually a remake of 'The Deep.' Hmmm. Goes to show what I know! <ha>

As long as it has ample diving in it - it should be decent at least...we'll see. I'm not into the 'hip hop' tunes but hey, thats life!

I will take heavy metal over hip hop anyday. They built a special two million gallon tank for some of the ship wreck scenes in "The Deep". What was also neat about using that tank for filming. They stocked it with fish.

Back
Top Bottom