Remaining logged in on a public computer for over a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to the same computer and do it again. Easy way to rule out the existance of a cache server.

The easiest explanation is most often the best. You probably "remembered" the login while accident this ONE time and don't remember doing it. Perhaps you were distracted by a young coed walking by?

OH! Duh... It could be set to have roaming profiles, which your personal info is on the server, not the pc, and you are going to have whatever settings you have, cached stuff, etc., where ever you go. :)

Dive-aholic:
Okay, Dennis, both you and someone else here (I'm sure a lot of people) have a serious problem...LOL You're paying for Internet access at an airport to get on ScubaBoard.

Pete, this truly is an 800lb gorilla!!!

It was 1 AM and the place was deserted. I was on my way to Manila and the PPD were all on line...:D

I actually log on every time I head for the Philippines, I take the early morning flight, 2:45AM, so I get in at 11AM, so I have a 4 hour wait when I get to Vancouver. Geeze, that is the only excuse I can think of...:wink:

If they're set up like the computers where I go to school--
Cookies/logins etc that are saved by default are not deleted, because you log into your own profile. I log into a few forums from engineering labs at school and my profile is saved back in the main server and the computer is just used as a portal to view it. Anyone in engineering can log into any engineering computer and all their settings will be the same. Pretty neat setup.
On actual public computers ("kiosks" here), you don't log in. They're open for anyone to use, and I absolutely know that they delete everything whenever you click "start over".

Sounds like your profile was just carried with you. Personally I have zero issue keeping cookies/logins on my engineering computer profile since I'm the only one who can access it. :)

SparticleBrane:
If they're set up like the computers where I go to school--
Cookies/logins etc that are saved by default are not deleted, because you log into your own profile. I log into a few forums from engineering labs at school and my profile is saved back in the main server and the computer is just used as a portal to view it. Anyone in engineering can log into any engineering computer and all their settings will be the same. Pretty neat setup.
On actual public computers ("kiosks" here), you don't log in. They're open for anyone to use, and I absolutely know that they delete everything whenever you click "start over".

Sounds like your profile was just carried with you. Personally I have zero issue keeping cookies/logins on my engineering computer profile since I'm the only one who can access it. :)

I would have thought this was the case, except that I don't have to use a student login to use the computers (unless you're in the computer lab, this was just a general access computer in on of the hallways)

Diver Dennis:
It was 1 AM and the place was deserted. I was on my way to Manila and the PPD were all on line...:D

I actually log on every time I head for the Philippines, I take the early morning flight, 2:45AM, so I get in at 11AM, so I have a 4 hour wait when I get to Vancouver. Geeze, that is the only excuse I can think of...:wink:

Whatever makes you feel better... :D

Just get a broadband laptop. You can log on anytime anywhere without paying more than your monthly rate. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom