relocating to utila in april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubinax,
You have mentioned in previous posts your interests in learning to dive in Utila are cost related and also mentioned troubles with residency.
I really wonder how this will work for you, you say you have good jobs now. Sure, It may be cheaper to take lessons in Utila but is it cheaper if you figure airfare, lodging and all that will go with such a trip? Maybe best to get the basics done at home. As not even certified you are looking at a long time to be able to legally profit from any scuba type things. Others have mentioned to ignore the VISA Stuff and go on a tourist visa, Think about how so many from the US fell about those from Mexico and other countries taking jobs. Do you want to be the gringo that the Honduran folks talk about while they sit around talking about people taking jobs? If you visit as a tourist you cannot even take tips and cannot legally work anywhere. Please consider these things. Maybe Puerto Rico would be better suited as it is US Teritory so Visa's are not the main issue. Do you really think there is cheap beachfront for you to build a hut to live in that you could afford on a divemaster or waitress pay?

Yep..."the dream"

So two people going from non-diver to instructor, call it 7 months and enough money to live for at least a year.

I wouldn't want to set foot on that island with anything less than $25 000.

If you've got that, great, if not maybe it's worth heading down there for a vacation, get certified and make sure you CAN dive ( the both of you ) and get the lay of the land, so to speak. If the island is to your liking, maybe you might consider delaying your plans for a year while you get yourselves organised for the move.

I moved down here almost two years ago. First lived for nine months on Guanaja but then moved to Utila in August of 2009. My situation is a little different than most. I run an air charter operation. We fly to all The Bay Islands as well as the major cities on the main land. This, I believe, gives me a unique perspective about life on these islands. The most important thing I can tell you is to just take the plunge. I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. The only thing I might disagree with is the $25,000 figure. It is cheap to live here. Work in the dive industry can be found but you won't get rich doing it. How will you be coming to Utila from the main land? Will you arrive in Honduras by air? If so, will you land in San Pedro or Roatan (the two most convenient locations if you're coming to The Bay islands)? Check us out at Policies. And good luck with your decision.

I would also mention that there are many Ex-pats from the US, Canada, Germany, Austria, etc living here on Utila. I have found this community to be helpful and inviting. IOW, once you get here it is easy to make acquaintances and get advice from those that have been living in paradise for some time.

. The only thing I might disagree with is the $25,000 figure. It is cheap to live here. Work in the dive industry can be found but you won't get rich doing it.

Remember,
They are not even yet certified OW divers so you need to include all the training costs up through instructor along with the time of not making ANY money doing so, Add to that the likelyhood of buying equipment and paying for insurance as well as agency dues and i do not think the $25,000 mark is high, in fact, $12,500 pp per year minus the already mentioned incidentials is likely low if you really look into all the expenses. Heck, $20 dollars a day for food, beverages, snacks, toiletries, internet etc... is $7300 on its own, How many get by on that for the whole year ? Sure we all CAN, but will you? If plan on cooking in a place with kitchen, fridge, freezer then your lodging will certainly take a good chunk as well.
These are folks that are not yet divers so throw any moneymaking related to that out the window.
It is a great dream and maybe something to plan for but unless planning on working ilegally there will be very few options for making any money. I am not sure but I would think that not too many restaurants get into helping with work permits.

I based that $25 000 figure on goproutila's $7000+ beginner to MSDT internship ( just over $6000 for the courses then just over a grand for the internship ) The website says it includes gear, but there's always more gear, like a light, to be bought, so call it $ 7500/person just to get marketable.

Now we're at $15 000. Goproutila says budget $800/month living expenses, I'm assuming this is for single occupancy. Yes two can live cheaper than one but 10 grand for two people to live on for a year works out to just over $800/month. For two people.

I'm not seeing any guarantees of employment after completing the program, fair enough, so it's only prudent to assume there will be a period of trying to secure full time employment, dunno how easy that is in low season.

So an "extra" four months of living expenses is about $3000, or less than 15% of the figure I cited, not too much in the grand scheme of things.

I gather that people on the groproutila program will be working as DMTs, just by the way the site is worded. There's no mention of getting paid work as a DM during this period even though the candidate will be certified by this time, so there's no counting on income from this source, Maybe the resorts are hiring ? It would be worth emailing to see if they are/will hire DMs or whether they want instructors instead.

Now I haven't been to Utila in years, but I was recently in Thailand and the very few foreigners I found working in the service industry weren't making what anybody would call money. Most were making just enough to not die.

So, yes maybe two people going from zero to hero could do it for less but it would sure cut into the fun factor.

ncchuck,

i've done as much research as possible from this far of a distance. i tend to be unnecessarily verbose so i tried to keep the original post short, against my nature, in hopes that people would actually read it and respond. unfortunately, i think that caused some confusion. i'm well aware that the island is very small and rather remote, and that's a big part of it's appeal. both my boyfriend and i are currently employed with stable, decently paying jobs but feel that the trade-off of spending the majority of our waking days inside a building to pay for the house, cars, bills, and entertainment, in what little free time we are left with, isn't a fair bargain. to be perfectly honest, i find the western lifestyle insane and feel saddened that the general population has been so effectively convinced that this a normal way to spend a short, precious life.

we realize that moving to any part of the caribbean or central america will drastically lower our standard of living, and that is exactly what we are looking for. in the long run, i would like to transition to complete self-sufficiency. so, what you had mentioned about the restaurant jobs would be a perfect beginning and that was the aspect i was curious about...if i, as a foreigner, would be able to find something along those lines. it is also helpful to know that getting into a position involving diving will likely be an essential.

thank you so much for your insightful comments and if you think of anything else to add to it i would be most grateful :)

I spent 4 months or so on Utila in 2006. I became a DM and then Instructor while there. Like you, I left the rat race (at age 61) for a change of pace and the experience was probably the best of my life. I shared a very nice 2 bedroom apartment with an English guy I met on my second day there. My share of the rent was only $200 a month and that included electricity. I probably spent more on beer than food but I think the entire 4 months only cost me about $2000 not including the training.

The island is addictive and it would be easy to stay there if your partner were with you. Many "kids" came for a week or two and stayed for several months. As long as your expectations are in line with reality of living on a tiny island with few services, it can be a great place. I could easily live there for a year or so but probably not much beyond that as it is just too confining and the services to limiting.

I met many great people from around the world from all kinds of different backgrounds. I probably learned more about other cultures in this 4 months than I did during the rest of my life. I never met anyone I didn't like.

The business owners on Utila are all very friendly and helpful. I was surprised how many spoiled local teenagers were there and they are like kids in the US. They want everything handed to them on a platter.

A few people I attended Instructor classes with stayed and earned just enough to get by. Some worked part time as I indicated in "Westernized" restaurants and bars to keep up with expenses.

Best of luck and I hope you take the plunge. You'll love the island, the diving and the people. Go for it.

I moved down here almost two years ago. First lived for nine months on Guanaja but then moved to Utila in August of 2009. My situation is a little different than most. I run an air charter operation. We fly to all The Bay Islands as well as the major cities on the main land. This, I believe, gives me a unique perspective about life on these islands. The most important thing I can tell you is to just take the plunge. I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. The only thing I might disagree with is the $25,000 figure. It is cheap to live here. Work in the dive industry can be found but you won't get rich doing it. How will you be coming to Utila from the main land? Will you arrive in Honduras by air? If so, will you land in San Pedro or Roatan (the two most convenient locations if you're coming to The Bay islands)? Check us out at Policies. And good luck with your decision.

I can vouch for Capt. Angelo. His charter really is the way to get to and fro. My perspective is also a bit different. We bought on island several years ago and have slowly developed our property into a modern day "Gilligan's island" sort of get away. Home Page Utila is certainly a taste of the old Caribbean and, as others have said, go before it changes and it is changing. I've not had to deal with work permits as we don't work there. I do encourage you to go with a round trip ticket. Its an amazing place and one I love, but its not for everyone and going and getting stuck because you can't afford to get home wouldn't be fun. To say nothing of the requirement to renew your visa......:no:

In any event few go, and fewer manage to make it once they are there. Sound planning and a thoughtful evaluation of what you are really looking for is the key to getting what you want.

go before it changes and it is changing

I'll say. We've gone from "surviving" on the island to private charters and $ 10 000/month waterfront cabanas. :wink:

I too did the leave the rat race thing, but I planned it out and tried out my idea for a few years before I determined that there's enough money in it to quit the day job and blaze my own path. Of course, this is why I'm heading to Utila and an under $10/night hotel room ( maybe I'll rent an apartment instead ) rather than rocking up to that cay off of Guanaja that rents for $7500/night in my megayacht.

I'm curious as to how much repeat business Utila gets. Do many people return there after completing their courses or is it a "go to Utila, get your open water, and move on, never to dive again" type destination. I never really see Utila advertised as a dive destination, save for the resorts, and I noticed one shop didn't even mention 'fun diving" on their website.

I'll say. We've gone from "surviving" on the island to private charters and $ 10 000/month waterfront cabanas. :wink:

I too did the leave the rat race thing, but I planned it out and tried out my idea for a few years before I determined that there's enough money in it to quit the day job and blaze my own path. Of course, this is why I'm heading to Utila and an under $10/night hotel room ( maybe I'll rent an apartment instead ) rather than rocking up to that cay off of Guanaja that rents for $7500/night in my megayacht.

I'm curious as to how much repeat business Utila gets. Do many people return there after completing their courses or is it a "go to Utila, get your open water, and move on, never to dive again" type destination. I never really see Utila advertised as a dive destination, save for the resorts, and I noticed one shop didn't even mention 'fun diving" on their website.

I can speak to the "repeat business" a bit I think. We've been renting our (as you note expensive) cabana for just over a year. Although our price is admittedly steep, we do offer your own captained boat and one of the finer DM/Instructors on the island for the price. In just the 12 months we've been renting we've been booked for 20 weeks and have had 3 repeat guests. Utila has plenty of budget accommodations, but I think (and so far have been right) that there is a market for high end luxury (off the beaten path) trips. Its a totally different market, but one I think that Utila is primed for. One thing that people don't realize is that Utila has every bit as much shore diving as Bonaire, the problem is getting to the shore from which you want to dive. When Utila figures out how to make that happen, the market is going to explode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom