relocating to utila in april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do and more.

Again, your email was clear in what you were doing. Since you know all about the requirements and could clearly answer you own musings, why not just make a post setting it out rather than asking someone else to do it. Because you were trying to call someone out.

. Since you know all about the requirements and could clearly answer you own musings, why not just make a post setting it out rather than asking someone else to do it. .
Because I know what is has taken as far as time and money to do so, I also have never recommended others to just follow their dreams and go for it so I figured the one who gives that advice should also share what it took. If I were telling people how easy it was then certainly, I should also share how many hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars can be spent just to do things legally.
Remeber,
The OP Has not mentioned they have any skills that are not already available and have not mentioned they have capitol to start a business in which they will employ locals or offer a service not yet offered. They have simply mentioned becomming transients.
Wouldn't it be better if we could all embrace somone with a real plan who has really looked into the possibilities and knows beforhand whether they have anything to offer and then just what they can offer to better the local community? Something just doesn;t seem right when another gringo shows up with nothing, has nothing to offer and then wants to work in a place where so many locals have nothing.

Last edited:
I'm also one of you who dreams every day of doing the same thing. And unlike lionfish-eater, I don't think you can be the change you want to see in the world... it can't be fixed here, and by that I mean everything from the political climate to the water temperature. Frankly, it's the water temperature that disappoints me the most :depressed: So I say, yeah, DO go and bury your toes in the sand... why not?

Anyway, myself, I'm more interested in Curacao, Isla Margarita, somewhere like that where it doesn't rain all the freakin' time and you don't get eaten by bugs. But that's me. In any case, I can't recommend this site enough: EscapeArtist.com ... Lots of information there about visa requirements, tax considerations, real estate, various expat communities, etc. in the Caribbean and beyond, with great links to other sites as well. I'm on that site and its offshoots 3 or 4 times a week, and I've learned tons about expatriation in general and the places I'm interested in in particular. Check it out and good luck!

I believe the USA would nearly collapse without the work of illegal aliens. Lets be serious, if those collecting unemployment checks or welfare got up off their behinds they too could be mowing lawns, putting up drywall, harvesting sugar cane and oranges, and washing dishes. But no, they are happy to sit on their butt and do nothing, giving opportunities to those individuals with more asperations of something different/better.

So the USA could collect up all the illegal workers and send them home. Then what? Restaurants close or dramatically increase prices because their cost of wages double so they can convince that lazy american to come work? New homes and offices increase construction costs (isn't that industry already hurting enough?).

It's no different in Honduras (Roatan, Utila). The work is available. If the locals wanted that job, they could get it just as easily, if not moreso, than the guy uprooting his entire life and taking a chance. But they don't. Why? No ambition or the lack of education to make it possible. Why would a businessman hire an illegal if he didn't have to?

The world we live in (USA, various other countries) revolves on illegal migrant workers. You don't have to like it, but its a fact of life.

RTB, I'm glad you took the steps to do it right. I'm sure it took time and money and makes you proud to know you did it the right way. But don't look down your nose at people trying to follow a dream. They aren't taking a DM or OWSI job away from locals because locals, with few exceptions, don't work that industry. They either lack the education or financial resources to educate themselves to make it happen. I'm just as shocked to see a Honduran DM as I am to see a caucasian landscaper.

Perhaps a better way of looking at it is the illegal workers that show up in Utila or Roatan provide jobs for the locals. Without them, no tourist industry would exist. All those locals who *are* working heavily, almost solely, rely upon the tourist trade. Without those illegal workers providing the services they do Honduras would slip even further into the rat whole they are in presently. These illegal workers arent coming to Roatan and helping build roads, teach classes, be doctors, build homes, etc. A trade exists for them to be employable because by an large native people are unable or unwilling to do it.

There is a right way, a wrong way, and the way it needs to be. Maybe not morally correct, but it is reality.

And no, I'm not employed in C.A. I just see reality a little different than you. And get really tired of hearing you spew the same ole BS everytime.

Heres an idea - start a new thread that details out exactly the steps, time, and costs required to be legally employed in Honduras (seeing as its been asked of you several times and yet you still haven't), then post a link in whichever thread you feel like rather than reposting the same tired diatribe time an again. If thats something you are unwilling or unable to do, then maybe you need to push the keyboard away when you read threads like this.

Heres an idea - start a new thread that details out exactly the steps, time, and costs required to be legally employed in Honduras (seeing as its been asked of you several times and yet you still haven't), then post a link in whichever thread you feel like rather than reposting the same tired diatribe time an again.
Here is another Idea,
Since I have , from the beginning of any of these types of posts been somewhat against the follow your dream thing because it often involves working illegaly, Lets hear from those that think its such a great idea. I Feel it is often not cost effective and face it, if all it takes is following that dream then so many would not fail. The OP has not mentioned offering anything not available such as being a private pilot with his own plane. Lets hear from those that have followed the dream and promote such things to tell us their experience and what it took to legally work and what costs and difficulties they encountered. Honduras has some of the strictest laws anywhere in regards to employees, Just because they may not have the capability to enforce them should not make them any less important.

You mention
They aren't taking a DM or OWSI job away from locals because locals, with few exceptions, don't work that industry

You seem to forget, or maybe never read it in the first place, the OP is not even a certified diver and are hoping for other work

Last edited:
Here is another Idea,
Since I have , from the beginning of any of these types of posts been somewhat against the follow your dream thing because it often involves working illegaly, Lets hear from those that think its such a great idea. I Feel it is often not cost effective and face it, if all it takes is following that dream then so many would not fail. The OP has not mentioned offering anything not available such as being a private pilot with his own plane. Lets hear from those that have followed the dream and promote such things to tell us their experience and what it took to legally work and what costs and difficulties they encountered.

I guess we have all been asking you the same thing over the course of many months. So from this I now understand you are not a legal worker of Roatan, merely someone that likes to promote the idea. That does make a big difference. It is very east for me to tell people they should not consume alcohol, but lets face it, its not something I'm going to do myself. But then again, since I know I'm not about to do it, I also bypass the opportunity to sound morally correct.

Honduras has some of the strictest laws anywhere in regards to employees, Just because they may not have the capability to enforce them should not make them any less important.

Oh but they do have the ability to enforce it; they are just a little smarter than you I suppose. Not a single day passes on Utila where I do not get passed by the Honduran immigration police. They are present, everyday, on that island. It looks to me like they are on every bit of a vacation as me. They are just lacking swimming trunks and flip-flops. I'm pretty sure the Honduran government understands that no illegal workers in Utila means no boats leaving the docks. Wait, maybe that's it... Have you ever stepped foot on the island of Utila?

You seem to forget, or maybe never read it in the first place, the OP is not even a certified diver and are hoping for other work

Oh I read it, but I don't think most of us are addressing that concern. Maybe they are, I supppose, but I personally am not. I do believe the OP also commented on doing the zero-hero type thing (and continue working), which although I am not a fan of it, is something that can be achieved in the Bay Islands. I think if the OP goes down to the Bay Islands looking for work outside the scuba industry they will find the going difficult. But bartenders and serving jobs do pop up from time to time. It is pretty easy to tell a Honduran from non-Honduran when they bring you that Salva Vida. But this thread has already offered them decent adivce in this area (don't do it, or have savings to survive on).

Interesting side story here... I just returned to the USA from another vacation to Roatan and Utila. While in Roatan I struck up a conversation with 2, and only 2, locals. One was my waiter at Argentinian Grill, the second my taxi driver from West End to the airport.

The server was a male which spoke good english, but appeared a local (which is ultimately what sparked the conversation). It turns out he is Honduran and worked for 4 years illegaly in the USA outside of New York city as a server at the local IHOP. Now I wouldn't expect a corporation as big as IHOP to employ illegals, I wasn't about to call him a liar, either. Perhaps it is easy to forge documents. Asked upon why he was not there still he answered, "I got in trouble and was deported." Hrmmm.

The taxi driver ultimately started the conversation with me and voluteered most the information. Turns out he too worked illegaly in New Jersey. He commented how he made $35/hours until he "got into trouble and was deported." The irony of the near exact same sentence. I'll have you know as a natural born citizen, college educated and maintaining employement of 40-70 hours weekly, in my lifetime I have never made $35/hour. But the illegal did. Shocking! /sarcasm

Before you editted your reply you asked me several questions. I would like to address those...

Do you employ folks?

No, it is clear you and I come from a different cloth. Short of winning the lottery I will never own a big blue house (let alone one that desrves a name) on a hill in the Caribbean. I have, shall we say, been a lot more "ground zero" than you.

Do you know the Honduran Labor laws?

Before I read them from your typed words, yes I knew them. They are brutal to the employers. No American sweat-shops will be moving to Honduras in the near future, to put it mildly. Perhaps if the government wanted their locals to work they would learn new ways to encouraging new industry. But I digress...

What do you tell the guy trying to run a shop legally but the other guys pay illegal DM's and offers a better price?

Talk to the politicians... Complain to them... Seems like the best place to start. Oh wait, I know of at least 1 illegal worker employed by the mayor of Utila. Well dog poppy. I suppose I tell them, "If you can't beat them, join them."

So from this I now understand you are not a legal worker of Roatan, merely someone that likes to promote the idea.
But do not forget, while I am not employed on RTB, I DO pay numerous folks and in doing so I make sure to abide by the laws.
Oh but they do have the ability to enforce it;
Tell yourself that enough times and maybe you will believe it, Just as they can control all other crimes on the island. There is a lot more to enforcement than just an officer, just as police cannot prosecute folks.
Oh I read it, but I don't think most of us are addressing that concern. Maybe they are, I supppose, but I personally am not.
Maybe if you had stayed on the topic you would not seem so confused.

I will never own a big blue house (let alone one that desrves a name) on a hill in the Caribbean
Nor will I, what is your point?

Here's my 2 cents, and, keep in mind that I have not read every single post on here.

A few years back, I e-mailed Andy Phillips (goes by "goprohonduras").

That was one of the best things I have ever done. My wife and I spent 3 months in Honduras - we assisted with some courses as DM's for a month, did the IDC / IE with Utila Dive Center, and then hung out and interned for a month or so afterwards.

We came to a point where we were getting close to the end of our savings and would have to find a job. To be honest, after being in Utila for 3 months, I was ready for something else. After interning for some time, we felt we had what it took to find a good job, and, IMO, we found excellent jobs (for this industry), and relatively quickly as well. We did not, however, find anything on Utila, and it did seem overrun with dive instructors. We ended up in St. Croix, USVI. Here, its relatively easy - no work visas or anything of the sorts to worry about, and its still a cool little island in the middle (edge?) of the Caribbean!

Since becoming an instructor, I have also completed the time required and am a USCG certified captain, and the wife is working towards the same (she is finalizing paperwork any day). I captain a 36' Newton dive boat, teach or lead certified divers on tours.

You can't go wrong at Utila Dive Center (I don't think we paid nearly that much, but it has been a few years), in retrospect, it was an amazing decision. As a new instructor, it definitely helps to stay and do the internship which also gains you 5 specialty ratings (pick ones you like and are you can't self certify in such as nitrox, gas blender, o2 provider, and equipment).

If you want any more information, as always, I am happy to help!

Tell yourself that enough times and maybe you will believe it, Just as they can control all other crimes on the island. There is a lot more to enforcement than just an officer, just as police cannot prosecute folks.

The journey of thousand miles begins with a single step. A step Honduran police rarely, if ever, feel the need and/or desire to take.

Maybe if you had stayed on the topic you would not seem so confused.

The confusion is yours. The OP states, "i was wondering about the availability of jobs in general, possibly in the service or administrative industries, for non-residents requiring a work visa." They continue, "my boyfriend and i are planning to head to utila this coming april to become dive master certified and we hope to spend a significant amount of time on the island. thus the necessity of eventually finding work cannot be overlooked and it is in my nature to attempt to be prepared, at least mentally, for possible hurdles."

At what point does it not make sense to you that we should be discussing working as a DM or OWSI on Utila?

Let's see... They want to be DM certified, want to work in service industry, are non-residents, and want general info about working in Utila. Yep, clearly you got onto your soapbox and lost track of what was actually being discussed.

Here's my 2 cents, and, keep in mind that I have not read every single post on here.

A few years back, I e-mailed Andy Phillips (goes by "goprohonduras").

That was one of the best things I have ever done. My wife and I spent 3 months in Honduras - we assisted with some courses as DM's for a month, did the IDC / IE with Utila Dive Center, and then hung out and interned for a month or so afterwards.

We came to a point where we were getting close to the end of our savings and would have to find a job. To be honest, after being in Utila for 3 months, I was ready for something else. After interning for some time, we felt we had what it took to find a good job, and, IMO, we found excellent jobs (for this industry), and relatively quickly as well. We did not, however, find anything on Utila, and it did seem overrun with dive instructors. We ended up in St. Croix, USVI. Here, its relatively easy - no work visas or anything of the sorts to worry about, and its still a cool little island in the middle (edge?) of the Caribbean!

Since becoming an instructor, I have also completed the time required and am a USCG certified captain, and the wife is working towards the same (she is finalizing paperwork any day). I captain a 36' Newton dive boat, teach or lead certified divers on tours.

You can't go wrong at Utila Dive Center (I don't think we paid nearly that much, but it has been a few years), in retrospect, it was an amazing decision. As a new instructor, it definitely helps to stay and do the internship which also gains you 5 specialty ratings (pick ones you like and are you can't self certify in such as nitrox, gas blender, o2 provider, and equipment).

If you want any more information, as always, I am happy to help!

Thank you for sharing! Very helpful information for the OP and a good success story to boot. Color me jealous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom