Relief efforts - How you can help Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The devastation across Grand Cayman in the wake of Hurricane Ivan was extensive and the people of the Cayman Islands need our help. Here's how to contribute so you can make a difference:

If you know people of wanting to contribute supplies or to make donations, they can arrange for deliveries to be made to:

Cayman Airways Cargo Ltd., Miami, FL
6025 NW 18th Street
Building 716 East Suite 2E
Miami International Airport, FL. 33152
(305) 526-3190

Cox Lumber Company, Tampa, FL
Cox Lumber
5135 Madison Ave
Tampa FL 33619
(813) 248-6731

Tortuga Rum Company Ltd., Miami, FL

To expedite the relief efforts for the Cayman Islands, they have set up their Miami warehouse as a staging area. They are working with relief agencies and air freight companies to begin sending supplies as soon as conditions permit returning to the island. Food donations and necessities can be dropped off at the Tortuga warehouse located at 14202 Southwest 142nd Ave, Miami, FL 33186. Phone number is 305-378-6668, contact Monique Hamaty-Simmonds or Marcus Simmonds.

Cash Donations

The funds will be used to buy necessary relief/medical supplies, rebuilding materials and other items needed by the families left without homes.

Account Name: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
Account #: 621506296065

Make checks payable to: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund

Wire funds to: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
Account #: 621506296065
JP Morgan Chase Bank
60 East 42nd Street
NY, NY 10165
ABA/Routing #: 021000021

For wire transfer outside

Morritt's has set up the non-profit Morritts Grand Cayman East End Hurricane Relief Fund, Inc. Donations may be sent by check payable to: MGCEE Hurricane Relief Fund, Inc.

Send to: Signature Bank
c/o Carly Ross, Assistant to the President
P.O. Box 571
St. Petersburg, Florida 33731-9809

Privately I have initiated an effort to provide a generator for the remaining Tortuga Divers staff on the island.
(22 Oct) UPDATE: This goal has been met and two generators have been shipped. Great thanks to all.

Any and all help to the Cayman Islands is greatly appreciated.

Posted with my permission... NetDoc

Washy:
Probably a silly question Drew, but how are things on the East End? Is Tortuga/The Reef still standing?
Not silly at all.

Morritt's Tortuga Club & Grand:
Beach is bigger than ever with the storm having left behind lots of sand!
Dock washed away completely. All air compressors and supplies were moved off dock prior to the storm.
First floor oceanfront units had the sea wash through leaving lots of sand.
Inland units largely ok.
Major damage to lobby and restaurant area. Presume restaurant patio collapsed.

Royal Reef:
The Reef states some damage. I would presume similar to Morritt's, but I haven't heard.

Drew Sailbum:
Not silly at all.

Morritt's Tortuga Club & Grand:
Beach is bigger than ever with the storm having left behind lots of sand!
Dock washed away completely. All air compressors and supplies were moved off dock prior to the storm.
First floor oceanfront units had the sea wash through leaving lots of sand.
Inland units largely ok.
Major damage to lobby and restaurant area. Presume restaurant patio collapsed.

Royal Reef:
The Reef states some damage. I would presume similar to Morritt's, but I haven't heard.

Don't know where these were taken, but the later pictures show the aftermath.

http://www.eastend.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Drew Sailbum:
The devastation across Grand Cayman in the wake of Hurricane Ivan was extensive and the people of the Cayman Islands need our help. Here's how to contribute so you can make a difference:
QUOTE]

The very best way is to go there and spend money on tourism.

RoatanMan:
The very best way is to go there and spend money on tourism.
That time will come. It's going to take some time before Grand Cayman is ready for visitors.

For those who are interested, the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were not nearly as damaged. Power and water is in better shape there and those resorts should be open much sooner than GC's.

Drew Sailbum:
That time will come. It's going to take some time before Grand Cayman is ready for visitors.

For those who are interested, the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were not nearly as damaged. Power and water is in better shape there and those resorts should be open much sooner than GC's.

Drew- noticed you're on GC. Do you have the latest info on whether non-residents would be able to fly *through* GC if we're going to one of the sister isles? We're currently scheduled to go to GC 10/9-16 and LC 10/16-23, and would still love to go, maybe swapping the GC week for one on CB, but our flight is through GC, so we'd need to get through there. Any info you have is much appreciated!

thx,
Jaime

Jamie,

I just haven't updated my profile. I'm in the States at the moment trying to help from here.

I have a heard a reasonable sounding rumor that you will be able to fly through GC to the Sister Islands but you will not be able to leave the GC airport.

Flight schedules may still be altered, so discuss with the airlines. At this time, only daylight flights into/out of GC is what I've heard. May have changed.

Back
Top Bottom