reliable, never free flowing regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions? So far, I am considering the newly discontinued Aeris Atmos Pro, or the discontinued GT3, both non DVT, unfortunately. Price is somewhat of a consideration, under $400 is doable. I will be diving in Fiji, where I may have to worry about strong currents at times. Regardless of the relaxed conditions, though, I will be diving nearly daily for two years and I won't have easy access to any LDS. I definitely do not want an iffy air source. Air is good!

If bombproof reliability in an unsupported area is your prime concern go with sherwood. While they may be somewhat lacking in high end performance the are the regulator equivalent to the ak47 it is almost impossible to make a shewood quit. they are also a relatively low priced line.

For what it's worth I have an Atmos Sport which is the same 1st stage as the pro. While I think it's a reliable rig, I've never been able to get used to the swivel. I ended up going with the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe. Kept the Aeris as a backup.

Good luck.

Dude get a Sherwood Oasis or Blizzard. Rock solid, easy to service (if even needed), never seen one freeflow, cheap, etc.

-J.-

FijiBound:
Any suggestions? So far, I am considering the newly discontinued Aeris Atmos Pro, or the discontinued GT3, both non DVT, unfortunately. Price is somewhat of a consideration, under $400 is doable. I will be diving in Fiji, where I may have to worry about strong currents at times. Regardless of the relaxed conditions, though, I will be diving nearly daily for two years and I won't have easy access to any LDS. I definitely do not want an iffy air source. Air is good!

The Atomic M1, is about as free-flow (freeze) proof in cold water as anything I've heard of or seen.

I have no idea how/if it free-flows when facing into a strong current.

Terry

I picked up a gt3 non dvt a few weeks ago for a back up and only have one dive on it. I have adjusted it one end to the other and have not had it free flow.

Web Monkey:
The Atomic M1, is about as free-flow (freeze) proof in cold water as anything I've heard of or seen.

Terry

Terry. Uhhh. He's going to Fiji.

Web Monkey:

Terry

The M1's purge cover is specifically designed to be used in strong currents. That's why the vents are on the side, not the front.
From atomicaquatics.com
Surge protected front cover: New anti-surge front cover is designed for use in high current situations to eliminate the possibility of free flow due to swift moving water or strong currents.

However, given the posters original question, I would question whether getting an easily maintainable reg and taking a class on how to get in serviced would not perhaps be a better approach.

Another may be to purchase two sets of quality cheaper regulators so that one may be sent away for service while the other is getting used.

As far as these types of threads are concerned: IMO, these scenarios require a bit out of the box thinking, rather than specific regulator recommendations (not directed at anyone specific in the thread) :)

YMMV

Bjorn

FijiBound:

If I were lucky enough to be going to Fiji for 2 years to dive almost every day, I would follow the above advice and get a Sherwood Oasis. They are extremely rugged, reliable, and uncomplicated. And since that many dives is a lot, even for a Sherwood, I would as part of the purchase deal get the shop to throw in a couple of service kits. Even if he charged full retail, they are only about $10 for both stages. Then I would download a service manual and take it along. The Sherwood is so simple that the average 12 year old would have no trouble rebuilding one.

Regardless of what you decide,have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom