Reliable Backup-Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have five of the Dorcy's. They work well, they run on aaa's, they are inexpensive, and they are reliable. I use them as backups for myself, back ups for student's who do not yet have one, and as warm water daytime primaries. No complaints and Piranha ships fast.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have five of the Dorcy's. They work well, they run on aaa's, they are inexpensive, and they are reliable. I use them as backups for myself, back ups for student's who do not yet have one, and as warm water daytime primaries. No complaints and Piranha ships fast.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

We use 4 of the same from the same.

Hi,Dear Cosmo,Could u let me know your detailed requirement?Such as the lumens,brightness,water resistance?We have many reliable back-up light,the water resistance is 200meters.If you are interesting,please contact me.My skype is janey.pang.

I can tell you have an interesting opinion. Unfortunately, with kindest intentions, I think it's lost in translation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the DRIS decomposes into many parts. I've disassembled mine for cleaning and it didn't seem like an excessive number of parts to me.

I think the main problem with the twist on lights is you really have to get in the habit of backing it off a good amount so that pressure won't activate it at depth. Once you get in this habit, it seems fine to me.

I am interested in why you say especially to avoid XM-L T6 and U2 bin emitters. Is the battery runtime too short for your needs? I don't do overhead exploration diving so it's not a concern to me.

Point is that you can distinguish between primary light and backup - on the contrary you can dive with two primaries lights - simple enough. If you know DIR style diving you know that

there is emergency scenario where the diver with failed equipment go foward or go between divers with equipment that functioning.

On other side I look on a backup light as little reliable lamp with sufficient autonomy with cylindrical sizes diameter 40mm and long about 200mm nothing more - it and attach the chest

strap and hide under the armpit - I do not want the shape and size of the Blackjacks ;-)) which is also not balanced.

On powerside - XML is big die it consume a lot of current and need good thermal path ( U2 and T6 are top bins , they have lower inner resistance and goes instead of 3A up to 5A ) in

practice, this means that no restrictions trashed 3xC size battery in about an hour and a half . It also need large optics or reflector in size of 60mm diameter so in general is more more

suitable for primary light . By contrast, the XP-G2 just right, it has enough light right amount consumed and requires a smaller optics suitable for backup.

You can read more on candlepower forums about differences and surface emissivity of different die sizes.

Problem by twisting (turning on on depth ) is IMO in size and shape of thread between head and body. Metal laps have very fine thread ( I have on my GS-35 M30x1,0 with minimum ''

crest'' )

http://www.mechlook.com/wp-content/...rm-Dimensions-for-Standaard-Screw-Threads.jpg

but plastic lights have mostly much larger thread with larger helix and trapezoid style thread ( because of plastic injection moulding that can simpler maintain the prescribed

dimensionsis) that are not so sensitive on pressure.

Your link doesn't work.

Lights - SeaForged Dive Gear

Just curious, what makes it the "best"? Cheers.

They are well constructed, the Cree led light it not your conventional blub it has 50,000 hours life.
The battery units have triple orings, the light control switch is magnetic nothing to break or let moisture in.
They are also available in wireless rechargeable. Double orings on the sleeve covering the charging base the rest of the unit is sealed.

They are well constructed, the Cree led light it not your conventional blub it has 50,000 hours life.
The battery units have triple orings, the light control switch is magnetic nothing to break or let moisture in.
They are also available in wireless rechargeable. Double orings on the sleeve covering the charging base the rest of the unit is sealed.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, they look like nice lights.

Hi All,

Just wanted to bump this post to see if anyone has any new suggestions for inexpensive, small backup lights. Leaving in 2 weeks to dive on Coz and will do a few cenotes on the penninsula and my backup flooded on my last trip. Trying to spend ~$50 for something that will fit in my BC pocket.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom