Relative warmth of exposure suits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a 3 mil suit for warm water diving, and dove it for a couple of years. I was never really cold in the water, down to about 75 degrees. But I shivered like crazy on the boat, when we moved to a new site.

Then I bought a 5 mil suit and 2 mil hooded vest for diving in the cenotes in Mexico. What I learned was that I no longer shivered during surface interval on the boat. What I hadn't recognized was how much core heat I was losing in the water, despite not feeling particularly cold. I realized that heat loss is a cumulative problem, and although one may surface from a particular dive and not feel uncomfortable, the heat loss can be significant. A hood and a thicker wetsuit have made a big difference for me.

One way to help maintain core temperature is to get out of the wet neoprene and into dry clothes between dives.

as for the original question,
I have definately found that some suits are warmer than other with the same thickness. For example the 3mm Merino Lined Pinnacle Seal that has become my primary wetsuit is noticably warmer than the Henderson Goldcore that it replaced, which is why I did not buy a 5mm full suit myself.

To say that one suit is universally warmer than its competitor is unlikely to prove true. as fit is so important to comfort and wamth. Find the suit manufacturer that has the size that fits you best and that suit will always be better for you.

But as already mentioned, 3-5mm gloves, a 3-5mm hood or beenie, and thicker boots can really change the preceived warmth of any suit

I think a diver's metabolism trumps any factor of the wetsuit in terms of how warm or cold a given diver is going to be. My limit in a 3 mil is 77-78 degrees, and I couldn't do that for multiple dives. My wife would be in her 5 mil under 80 degrees. I have literally seen, on one given dive, divers in suits ranging from a Speedo and bare skin to a 5 mil. IMHO, anything you read regarding a suit's effectiveness is only the rough starting point to determining what works for you.

One last thing to note to this thread......some companies grade the thickness of their neoprene after the out coverings, such as nylon, poly fleece, are applied, so you actually have less neoprene. Some companies, grade the thickness before the outer coverings are applied, this way you are getting a thicker neoprene.

So a 3mm from one company can actually be thinner than a 3mm from another company.

Also neoprene manufacturers are allowed a little plus or minus in thickness. This can change the thickness a hair, even from one suit to another made by the same company.

I am sooooo glad to finally hear others admit to getting chilled in "warm" water with 3mm suits. (I mean that in a "I'm not the only one way".) Because my relaxation in the water is growing in leaps and bounds I am chilling more. That only makes sense because I'm not burning energy with excess motion. The result is that I notice my core temperature is down when I return from back-to-back dives. Since I'm back in Michigan I'll be out in 59 F water for two dives tomorrow in my 7/5 Hyperstretch with full hood. It should be interesting to see if I chill like I did in Hawaii. Stay tuned...

I just returned from Hawaii where the water temperatures were consistently 78-81 F. I dove in a full 3mm Henderson Thermoprene with a back zipper. After two 60 minutes dives over a 3 hour period I was chilled. When I looked at the dive crews the majority seemed to be sporting 5mm exposure suits. So here are my two questions:

- Does anyone have experience with two different manufacturer's exposure suits of the same thickness and did you notice one being warmer than the other?

- I keep seeing posts from people recommending 3mm exposure suits down to 72 F water temperatures. It seems like that would be a bit chilly. Agree or disagree?

Would love to dive in Hawaii, last time I was there I wasnt diving yet, did swim on the north shore tho, didnt have any problems with that. As far as the wet suit, I dive a 3mm farmer john, and a 3 mil hood, my fiance dives a 5mm all the way around, we did our cert dives in 55 degree water with no problem, I think its all in what you get use to. Course we havent really done any repetitive dives in that cold of water tho, that would more than likely make a difference.

I just returned from Hawaii where the water temperatures were consistently 78-81 F....
- I keep seeing posts from people recommending 3mm exposure suits down to 72 F water temperatures. It seems like that would be a bit chilly. Agree or disagree?

Everyone feels the cold differently, for me anythng under 28c/82f and i need a 5mm semi dry or i get cold after 2 dives especially on multi day diving.

Dove the quarry in Ohio yesterday, twice. Average bottom temperature was 63 F. I donned a 7/5 exposure suit, a 7/5 matching hood, and 7mm boots. All were Henderson Hyperstretch. I must say that initial rush of water at the surface was much more rude than in the islands. However, it was suitable for the conditions and I did not chill with the exception of a slight cold water headache after the dives. (Hood doesn't provide enough warmth on the back of my head/neck where my wife claims a brain stem should have developed when I was very young. Similar to what people experience the first time they shovel snow on a cold day without a scarf.) So this supports what many have offered in the thread and my plan will be to add a couple of pieces of fashion wear to my wardrobe. Thanks again for your comments!

An example of the difference fit and style make is the Henderson line. The 3mm hyperstretch is convenient and great but on a busy Caribbean dive trip (4-5 dives a day) I often feel cold on long dives by mid-week and add a 3mm core warmer. On the surface I am usually cool after the dive and hurry to get the suit off. If I wear my 3mm insta-dry I am never chilled in the water, but I have to get the suit off right away out of the water or I overheat. The insta-dry sort of form fits but it also feels heavier and thicker than the hyperstretch. With both, a beanie helps me stay warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom