Relative warmth of exposure suits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobbonthecorn

Contributor
Reaction score
I just returned from Hawaii where the water temperatures were consistently 78-81 F. I dove in a full 3mm Henderson Thermoprene with a back zipper. After two 60 minutes dives over a 3 hour period I was chilled. When I looked at the dive crews the majority seemed to be sporting 5mm exposure suits. So here are my two questions:

- Does anyone have experience with two different manufacturer's exposure suits of the same thickness and did you notice one being warmer than the other?

- I keep seeing posts from people recommending 3mm exposure suits down to 72 F water temperatures. It seems like that would be a bit chilly. Agree or disagree?

cobbonthecorn

The thickness of the suit tells only a small portion of the story. The compression resistance of the neoprene can vary. Also suits are constructed with different levels of seals at the openings and behind zippers. The biggest factor will be the fit, anything less than slight compression will under perform.

When in Bonaire I was far more comfortable in a 2mm shorty that had a primo fit than in a 3/2mm full suit that had a reasonable but not great fit.

There is also a difference between 1 dive and repetitive diving.

The crews can be misleading to visitors. Divers will acclimate to warm water and generally loose some of their cold water tolerance compared to cold region guests. Also the crew is probably making numerous dives a day for days on end.

Pete

... There is also a difference between 1 dive and repetitive diving.

The crews can be misleading to visitors. Divers will acclimate to warm water and generally loose some of their cold water tolerance compared to cold region guests. Also the crew is probably making numerous dives a day for days on end.

Pete

All the points Pete made are spot on, especially the above.

Here in Hawaii the DM's will often be making multiple dives a day, for several days in a row, and after you live in Hawaii for awhile you do get accustomed to the warmer water and thus get chilled easier. So yes, you'll see some DM's that wear 5mm's :D

FYI: I dive year-round in my 3mm fullsuit (Akona 3mm Hyperstretch) here in Hilo without a problem, but in the winter on multiple dives I do get a little chilled (it will somtimes dip to about 70 here in winter Hilo on really "cold" days, in spring it may be 74). So I added a 5mm hood, and this made a HUGE difference for me. In the summer I wear a thin neoprene "beanie" (that's what I'm wearing in my picture). My wife and daughters dive 3mm in the summer and 5mm in the winter. My 11 year old son, aka "the human furnace", dives a 2.5 mm full year round (but he usually does not do repetitve dives).

So there is a range of cold tolerance between different individuals.

Safe Diving!

I would agree with all that is said. As a matter of fact I almost bought a beenie while vacationing just to take the edge off of things. (Something that is sure to go on the christmas list!)

did you rent your gear?? If it's used a lot, it'll wear out, and lose protection. Also, most lower-class neoprene wetsuits are blown using oxygen, the better suits are blown using nitrogen, and thus have more insulation. I dove in Maui with a 3mm a year ago. When I went back to cold water (54 F) I used a 7mm 2 piece. So.....I don't think I'll need that 3mm in Maui again!! :wink:

Most courses teach that no matter what temperature the water (within reason, of course) a diver will always be chilled, but the time it takes to chill will vary depending on the temperature of the water. Don't be surprised if you're being chilled after 2 dives. If you rented the wetsuit, if could be that it doesn't seal completely, thus there is constant movement of water in and out of the suit.

Hope that helps
Taylor
Vicdiver656

First, I brought along all my own gear. I did notice some water movement in the suit, but it does fit well. That was why I asked about suit-to-suit comparisons. For example, is a Bare 3mm as warm, cooler, or warmer than a Henderson Thermoprene of the same thickness. A comment I have heard from some local divers is that the Henderson suits, while flexible, are also not as warm as other suits they have dove. This may be related to your oxygen verse nitrogen comment. It may also be related to the relatve crush of two suits.

I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere: The Hyperstretch might be a little less warm than the same thickness "regular" wetsuit.... but having said that, it is all about good fit. If the suit is too loose (or too tight!) it will not be as efficient at keeping you warm.

I have no idea about the difference between the different brands.

cobbonthecorn: You might also want to consider a thin neoprene core-warmer on your Christmas list :D

Signed,

Mr. Toasty in my 3mm Hyperstretch :D

It is so hard to qualify the warmth of a wetsuit. As mentioned, fit is huge. So is comfort of the suit. The water temps that the diver is usually diving in can also play a big part. It's hard to know how warm or cold someone will be when they get to their destination. That's why layering is 'where its at'. I'm off to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, and along with my 3mm fullsuit, I am also bringing a 3mm hooded vest.

For what it's worth. When my wife and I dive in Hawaii or Bonaire we always take a set of 3mm hoods with us. I usually wear a 3mm and my wife a 5mm even in those waters as we do lots of diving when we go and tend to get cold after a couple days. Once we start to get cold we just throw the hood on and we are comfy cozy warm the rest of the week.

Back
Top Bottom