Relative costs of drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

st456ar

New
Reaction score
Aren't drysuits relatively expensive, particularly for someone entering the sport of diving? I don't want to make a significant investment until I'm certain that I want to stay with it?

yes, they are expensive, around $1,000 and up, depending on model.

in some places, they are really a necessity, though. where will you be doing
most of your diving?

also, you might consider buying used. dry suits last a long time if well taken care
of. the issue is going to be fit. i just bought a used DUI suit for $800 that i
consider a bargain. it's a sock medium, and it fits me very well.

if you can dive wet where you live, i would suggest that you do so for a bit to
see how you like diving, etc. before making the financial commitment.

H2Andy:
if you can dive wet where you live, i would suggest that you do so for a bit to see how you like diving, etc. before making the financial commitment.
Speaking for myself, I would not have continued diving locally had I not purchased a drysuit immediately after getting certified. I did not enjoy wearing a 7 mil farmer john plus a 7 mil hooded shorty and wearing 39# of lead around my waist. Of course, I could afford to buy a drysuit and that is not an expense that everyone can shoulder! There are some good deals out there though; The Bare NexGen is like ~$600/$700 new and there's always the used option like Any mentioned.

Andy's advice is good advice - continue diving locally and if you find you're just flat out too cold, start saving for that drysuit instead of buying a Starbucks mocha every day. :wink:

Jimmie

kalvyn:
.... continue diving locally and if you find you're just flat out too cold, start saving for that drysuit instead of buying a Starbucks mocha every day. :wink:

Jimmie

You gotta want it. My line is usually "eBay the Play Station...." but the above works just as well.

For me, I was diving in SoCal (not tropical, but not cold by PNW standards) for about 3 years before I moved to a DS.

That's when everything changed. It extended my season - I was diving 12 months a year now. I wasn't shivering on the SI, I dropped a bunch of weight off my belt, etc, etc. It coincided with me becoming a serious diver (100 + a year.)

If you decide you like this underwater stuff, its the single largest investment you'll make in your diving. But it will also outlast everything else you own, except your tanks.

I don't regret it for a moment.

---
Ken

PS: there are ways the saavy diver can save hundreds on a DS. I mean, for all it does, its just a person-shaped bag with a zipper and some seals. Zip and seals are consumables. Used is an excellent way to go. When you eBay the Playstation, look around. Threasures await you.

hey, has anybody actually added up how many mochas you'd have to skip
to get a drysuit?

i bet that's a lot of mochas :eyebrow:

Too funny.

Fewer in OCal... Home of the $25 car wash, and the $6.00 coffee.

---
Ken

H2Andy:
hey, has anybody actually added up how many mochas you'd have to skip
to get a drysuit?

i bet that's a lot of mochas :eyebrow:
Actually... it's not, really. If you consider a Starbucks mocha costs about $2.75 (?... I'm a Tully's kinda guy myself) and a lot of people get a mocha a day, that's $1,003.75 over the course of a year if you get a mocha every single day. That buys your drysuit right there.

Even if you only get one every work day, that's still $715 that could instead go towards a drysuit purchase.

I'd never eBay the PlayStation, though I have sold musical gear to pay for dive stuff! Folks that have known me forever couldn't believe that, actually. I came >this< close to eBaying my '69 Gold Top Deluxe last year, but I've since come to my senses.

Jimmie

I got a TSL350 Signature Series with the weight harness for 2000. From reading some of the threads it seems a little high but my husband bought it for me so Im happy lol!

Like everyone else had said, if you can get away with a wetsuit, go for it. Drysuits are expensive, especially brand new. I dive Monterey, CA waters for 4 years where the average water temp is 48F-55F. I was usually confortable up to about 70ft, but getting to the 3rd dive was tough--I usually opted to get a bowl of hot soup instead. You can get lucky like I did and get a pretty good used drysuit for $200. It had 300 dives on it, good seals and no leaks. Now I dive all the time without worrying about cold SI's. Scour eBay, scubaboard, craigslist.org and any other classifieds boards to get a deal. Used gear is the way to go!

Ericson

scubajunkee:
Like everyone else had said, if you can get away with a wetsuit, go for it. Drysuits are expensive, especially brand new. I dive Monterey, CA waters for 4 years where the average water temp is 48F-55F. I was usually confortable up to about 70ft, but getting to the 3rd dive was tough--I usually opted to get a bowl of hot soup instead. You can get lucky like I did and get a pretty good used drysuit for $200. It had 300 dives on it, good seals and no leaks. Now I dive all the time without worrying about cold SI's. Scour eBay, scubaboard, craigslist.org and any other classifieds boards to get a deal. Used gear is the way to go!

Ericson

IF you can find the right size. In my case I couldnt and had pretty much given up. So getting a new custom fit worked out well in this case. It was a huge investment but to me personally it was worth it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom