Rejuvenating the Cool Vintage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Color coordinated vintage set. šŸ„°

PicsArt_10-10-06.34.51.jpg

Hypalon Limited Edition, Mk10 with 109 & D350.

Ok, now if I tried that [a no talent metal worker] it would have more dings than a golf ball.
Should have seen my effort at welding.:oops:
Start with some of your stainless cooking bowls in the kitchen. They always seem to have dings.
Practice makes perfect.

Maybe if they have a "honey I shrunk the kids" sized dolly?

How To Use a Hammer and Dolly Ā» NAPA Know How Blog
You can use many things as dollies to back up the ding being worked out. Generally the dings will always be on the convex surface of the cover. Iā€™ve used my wooden work bench as a back up or ā€œdollyā€ and a rounded punch on the inside over the high spot of the ding, then gently tapping the punch with a small hammer watching the ding disappear. It doesnā€™t take much.
They also make dense rubber dollies to avoid smashing and stretching the metal out between two hard surfaces such as a steel dolly and a steel hammer. Once that happens it becomes incredibly difficult to try and gather it back up.
You can also use pressure on a homemade tool such as a modified flat screwdriver and use it like they would doing paintless dent repair. Press the ding out with controlled pressure while the backside lays on a smooth wooden surface.

I was an auto body man for 15 years and also did custom work, so Iā€™m not just blowing smoke.
Iā€™ve also worked out dings on several of my 109 covers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom