Rehabbing a Sprained Ankle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradStyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

Sprained my left ankle six weeks ago and I've got six more weeks until I'm supposed to be down in Cozumel and Tulum, preparing for and completing a tech diving course (GUE Tech 1). Fortunately I didn't separate any ligaments or break any bones, but it's pretty bad otherwise (probably partly due to age, I'm 54).

I can walk on it normally with little discomfort, but I can't walk down stairs on it yet without the handrail. I'm worried that a couple hours of finning a day will be a lot for it to handle, so I need to use my next six weeks wisely and I'm looking for advice on the best ways to rehab it.

I've been getting monthly PRF (platelet rich fibrin) injections, and going to acupuncture twice a week for it. I keep it in a compression sock for ankles to help with the swelling. I soak it in hot epsom salts once a day. I spell the alphabet with the ankle multiple times each day. I've got some therabands coming today to help stretch and strengthen it. I'm hoping to start swimming with it at my gym pool this week. Maybe add fins in another couple of weeks.

Anything else that I'd be smart to add...?

Thanks for the help!

You might try cold laser therapy, offered by many chiropractors. I'm just wrapping up (I hope) rehab of some peroneal tendinitis, and credit sporadic laser treatments with helping a lot. Also, until recently, I used a sock-style brace, which gives a bit of lateral stability.

You might try cold laser therapy, offered by many chiropractors. I'm just wrapping up (I hope) rehab of some peroneal tendinitis, and credit sporadic laser treatments with helping a lot. Also, until recently, I used a sock-style brace, which gives a bit of lateral stability.
Thanks. I had forgotten to add three other things I've been doing for it. Now included. Will look into cold laser therapy.

An upcoming dive trip is a powerful motivator! I gather you think the PRF is worthwhile?

An upcoming dive trip is a powerful motivator! I gather you think the PRF is worthwhile?
PRF is remarkable. I first became acquainted with PRP & PRF when I had stem cell injections to repair a fully torn labrum in my left shoulder, and went back in for PRP followups every five weeks. I do not exaggerate when I say I had a 100% recovery from an injury that had severely limited the use of my left arm for years. Platelet injections can work wonders, but only having six more weeks until I need my ankle back for serious full time duty has me a bit nervous. Fingers and toes crossed.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom