regulators for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
I have just made an order via www.diveinn.com for a set of Apeks DS4/ATX50 + ATX40 oct. When my technical and double diving comes, I will probably then get another set of DS4/ATX40 for the other port.

For now, it is just waiting for my new regs to arrive!!!!!!!!

Bad news! Diveinn cannot complete my order as I am living in Thailand and they couldn't charge the order to my credit card. Money transfer (in foreign currency) is not convenient for me...................so will probably have to get my regs locally.

Checked with the local Apeks representative in Bangkok, Apeaks' Thai distributor does not carry DS4 1st reg. for the local market. They only have the standard ATX50 set with the DST default 1st. Since DST comes with swivel turret. The + and - of a swivel turret I know from reading through various threads are as follow: :06:

+: Provides better hose routing when diving doubles.-(A consideration since going tech in the future is pretty likely for me.)

-: A potential failure point
-: More maintenance requirement

Well, this means I may have to get another set of ATX50 when I need to go tech for my other port. :06:

Once last option I have considering (since it might be too troublesome trying to figure out which reg to buy) simply go out and get another set of Aqualung Titan LX-since I am already using it and is happy with it. This option will cost me less and makes maintenance more simple. (Getting some opportunities to learn to service them myself.) The only down side I can think of is it doesn't come with a adjustable 2nd stage.

Anyone with experiences or seen Titan used for double set ups? :06:

I have to admit I have lots of interest in Apeks reg. ?!?!?!?

What would you do? :06:

an atx 100 would be another optio. slightly more expensive but the flathead design is proven. i also like the routing options. just my .02 cents

Spoon:
an atx 100 would be another optio. slightly more expensive but the flathead design is proven. i also like the routing options. just my .02 cents

Was actually on my list of consideration. In my market, it costs about USD100 more than ATX50. Many on this board said that performance is no different. Anyway, that's the reason why DS4/ATX50 was the choice I had in mind..................but :-(, they don't sell it here.

That leaves me the more expensive ATX100, the DST (which I know many think it is simply adding another failure point), or simply get another Aqualung Titan LX (which I am not sure would have problem in terms of hose routing).

But in any case, I am open for everyone's comments. Though not doing tech diving yet but just want something I don't need to let sit aside when going tech.

jswensva:
You may also want to take a look at Zeagle. Same basic innards as the Apeks, but Zeagle now manufacturers internally. Both models of the Flatheads are wonderful breathers (I have two ZX-Flathead 6s) and the new Flathead XP is a good, economical choice if you don't have a need for the enviro seal. The DSV is also a good breather and I have one of these as well. The envoy works well for deco bottles (I would recommend the 'deluxe' version so you have flow control and venturi adjustments).

jswensva,

Thanks for the Zeagle testimonial!

I agree of course, and love the new Flat Head XPs for technical dives. (No cold water for this diver!)

I will add that we changed our first stages to a conical HP seat design, more like that of a Poseidon Odin than Apeks, for performance and durability reasons. A Zeagle HP orifice is an inexpensive replaceable part, not built into the regulator body.

Chad

Zeagle has no presence in Thailand anymore.

wunat:
Thanks alot for the inputs. From some additional readings, I am also considering Apeks DS4/ATX50. Please feel free to add to comments to DS4/ATX50. (Was thinking of DST/ATX50 but the fact that the turret is 1) a failure point and 2) will require more maintanence makes it less attractive.)
From the postings on other threads, I overcome an on-line retailer , www.diveinn.com . It is said that they are also having a free shipping campaign. Does anyone has experiences buying from them? And anyone knows how is the free shipping campaign applied?

Thanks a ton!!!

Aqualung or Apeks would be my recommendation. I have recently tried a couple of ScubaPro, Dacor and Mares. You can have my Aqualung Legend LX when I finally depart this world.

Beware buying online. Most manufacturers will not honor the warranty. What you save on initial cost will soon be lost by having to pay for parts at annual service.

I my opmnion a VERY good choice for technical divers, looking for regs is the units sell by dive rite...good price (but not very cheap), very good performace (has almost the same apeks like design), and you can buy very easily (ONLINE) all parts, O2 compatible included and VERY easy adjusting procedures (by far simpler than SP´regs ). I´m not very fan of its external looking but is THE BEST option all factors considered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom