regulators for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
Thanks alot for the inputs. From some additional readings, I am also considering Apeks DS4/ATX50. Please feel free to add to comments to DS4/ATX50. (Was thinking of DST/ATX50 but the fact that the turret is 1) a failure point and 2) will require more maintanence makes it less attractive.)
From the postings on other threads, I overcome an on-line retailer , www.diveinn.com . It is said that they are also having a free shipping campaign. Does anyone has experiences buying from them? And anyone knows how is the free shipping campaign applied?

Thanks a ton!!!

I got all 4 of my DS4/ATX50s from Diveinn. I highly recommend them. With my past orders, the free shipping was credited after the order was placed. All of my regs came in an Apeks box with warranty cards.

With regards to the DST, some people like the turret for stage regs. I use DS4 for my doubles and stages, and I'm happy with them.

Mike

wunat:
I have heard people commenting about DS4/ATX50 routing for singles not being as good. Is there really a problem?

Narrowing down my alternatives.

The routing is not a good as the ATX200, but it works. If you are going tech, keep in mind that you will be needing at least 3 regs. IMO, the extra cost of the ATX200 over the DS4 was not not worth it. I also like that the DS4 uses all 3/8'' LP ports. The ATX200 and DST have one 1/2'' LP port.

Mike

If you're tech diving, I assume you're using doubles.

If you're using doubles, and you have 2 HP ports per regulator, that's 4 HP ports.

Why do you want 4 HP ports?

Thank you everyone for the comments and recommendation.

I have just made an order via www.diveinn.com for a set of Apeks DS4/ATX50 + ATX40 oct. When my technical and double diving comes, I will probably then get another set of DS4/ATX40 for the other port.

For now, it is just waiting for my new regs to arrive!!!!!!!!

I use the DS4/TX40+TX40 on my doubles.. no tech diving yet, but man they're nice solid regs. Easy to fix to boot.

You'll love it.

All you need to do to move to doubles is buy one more DS4.

You may also want to take a look at Zeagle. Same basic innards as the Apeks, but Zeagle now manufacturers internally. Both models of the Flatheads are wonderful breathers (I have two ZX-Flathead 6s) and the new Flathead XP is a good, economical choice if you don't have a need for the enviro seal. The DSV is also a good breather and I have one of these as well. The envoy works well for deco bottles (I would recommend the 'deluxe' version so you have flow control and venturi adjustments).

jonnythan:
I use the DS4/TX40+TX40 on my doubles.. no tech diving yet, but man they're nice solid regs. Easy to fix to boot.

You'll love it.

All you need to do to move to doubles is buy one more DS4.

pants!:
If you're tech diving, I assume you're using doubles.

If you're using doubles, and you have 2 HP ports per regulator, that's 4 HP ports.

Why do you want 4 HP ports?
It allows a little more flexibility with hose routing as the first stage can lie on either it's right or left side and have all hoses routed downward. If you only have 1 HP port, you have no option as to which side of the first stage goes down and which way it faces. With some first stages that can make a significant difference with how much the first stage interferes with clearance for reaching the valve knob.

i have the same dillema. il be doing doubles soon. im selling my poseidon xtreme to get either an apeks black pearl or apeks tungsten. i plan to use this primarily for my singles and plan to get the ds4/atx50 as my second set. would the blackpearl/ ds4-atx50 be a good combo for doubles? my instructor was suggesting 2 ds4/atx50 OR atx100/ds4 atx50?

not that familiar with routing concerns but i want a nice higher performing cosmetic reg for my singles and a cheaper second reg for my doubles?

Spoon:
i have the same dillema. il be doing doubles soon. im selling my poseidon xtreme to get either an apeks black pearl or apeks tungsten. i plan to use this primarily for my singles and plan to get the ds4/atx50 as my second set. would the blackpearl/ ds4-atx50 be a good combo for doubles? my instructor was suggesting 2 ds4/atx50 OR atx100/ds4 atx50?

not that familiar with routing concerns but i want a nice higher performing cosmetic reg for my singles and a cheaper second reg for my doubles?

My wife has an Apex Black Pearl. Another diver tried to order one and it turns out that they are done making them (they were limited edition). If you run across one and really want it, I suggest you get it while you can. Really, I think that it is just a pretty ATX200. They do say that they used exotic metals in the first stage.

DrDuktayp

DrDuktayp:
My wife has an Apex Black Pearl. Another diver tried to order one and it turns out that they are done making them (they were limited edition). If you run across one and really want it, I suggest you get it while you can. Really, I think that it is just a pretty ATX200. They do say that they used exotic metals in the first stage.

DrDuktayp

i think i know what to get now. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom