regulators for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am about to invest into another set of regulator for my girlfriend. I am currently using Aqualung Titan LX and have to said that I am more than happy with it. Was thinking about getting another set of Titan LX.

I am thinking about going technical in the next few year and talked to a few people about any special requirement on the regulator. Some suggestions which I got are:

1) Environmental sealed
2) Adjustable second stage
3) With 2 HP ports

What are the advantages of these features? Are there any other features or characteristics a regulator set should have if they are to be used for technical diving? If I ended up getting anothe Titan LX, would there be any negative aspects in using Titan for technical?

Suggested alternatives are 1) Apeks ATX100/200 and 2) Aqualung Legend LX (Supreme). In the local market, they are price about USD 250 over Titan LX, are they worth the additional investment?

Thanks a ton!!!!

Firstly, the environmental seal is recommended for cold or contaminated diving. It also comes in handy when you are interested in a long lifespan for your reg if you dive salt. Otherwise it doesn't really apply to you.
The adjustable second stage is popular because it can adjust the cracking resistance of your regulator. This comes in handy when you have a high performing reg that will slightly trickle at depth because the intermediate pressure of your reg increases as you decend and you cand compensate for it with the adjustment.
2HP ports (not available with the titan) come in handy when you are looking at hose routing. It just gives you more options. Also it provides another port for a backup gauge for those using wireless AI computers.

The features that you should be looking for when diving technical with regs are basically that they are designed as high performers in environments that you will be diving in.

As for using your titan for this, although I have not seen it often, I don't see a problem with it. Another option is that you could buy another, higher performingset for your other post...Lots of options.

Put me down for the DS4/ ATX regs, I dive the 50. superb in cold, nasty.

Also put me down for the Apeks DS4/ATX50. It is a popular choice among techies, because of it's good performance/price and routing for doubles. You don't need a reg with 2 HP ports.

Mike

DS4/ATX50 here as well. I've been diving Apeks regs since '95. I've done dives with others as well and for my money nothing compares to them. As a matter of fact, my 2 new ones just arrived on Monday.

Cheers,
Al.

Thanks alot for the inputs. From some additional readings, I am also considering Apeks DS4/ATX50. Please feel free to add to comments to DS4/ATX50. (Was thinking of DST/ATX50 but the fact that the turret is 1) a failure point and 2) will require more maintanence makes it less attractive.)
From the postings on other threads, I overcome an on-line retailer , www.diveinn.com . It is said that they are also having a free shipping campaign. Does anyone has experiences buying from them? And anyone knows how is the free shipping campaign applied?

Thanks a ton!!!

diverberr:
DS4/ATX50 here as well. I've been diving Apeks regs since '95. I've done dives with others as well and for my money nothing compares to them. As a matter of fact, my 2 new ones just arrived on Monday.

Cheers,
Al.

I have heard people commenting about DS4/ATX50 routing for singles not being as good. Is there really a problem?

Narrowing down my alternatives.

I use the Oceanic DX4 and it has been a strong steady performer. I have my eye on a set of Dive Rite regulators first and second stages.

Nothing breathes better than a Scuba Pro. Many good regs breath the same but certainly there are none that breath better from my research. Some SP users have had freezing trouble in water colder than 40 degrees F. If you will not be diving below these temps I would suggest you consider SP.

I don't have freezing problems with my MK25/G250 HP. My coldest dive with this reg was 33 degrees F with no free flow or freezing.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom