regulators for new diver + assembly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you might benefit from trying to figure out what the advantage of the octo/inflator is. One fewer hose? That's not really an advantage in the water. It just "seems like it" in a dive shop showroom. The big disadvantages are: 1) you need a longer-than-necessary corrugated BC hose, which adds clutter to your chest area. 2) your inflator, which you use very frequently BTW, is now bigger and more complicated than it needs to be. More clutter and potential confusion in inflating/deflating your wing. Don't forget, someone else might have to do that for you in an emergency. 3) If you have a problem with the regulator or BC on a trip, you can't simply switch to another because the LP inflator hose has a proprietary connector. 4) Imagine a leak at either the inflator mechanism OR the alternate 2nd stage. With one of these contraptions, you lose both if you have to disconnect due to a problem in either. Leaky inflators are not uncommon. With a normal inflator, that just means you have to orally inflate. With an octo/inflator, it means you lose your alternate 2nd stage or continue the dive with a leaking inflator. 5) Air sharing is complicated by the fact that you now have to remove your 2nd stage in order to fully vent your wing in some positions.

They don't tell you this stuff at the dive shop while they're crowing about one less hose......

Now, for the upside that you mentioned, you do know where it is, but that's also true with an alternate on a short hose with a bungee necklace. In fact, you can even get it hands free with a little practice. It's a much better configuration. The tech guys really have this one figured out.

Reconsider the octo/inflator, you'll be happier without it.

I have been using the Octo/LPI combo since circa 1994 (SeaQuest, AL and SP) and none of the BS you mention happened or is relavent. Just cut the nonsense and don't feed inexperienced divers these "weak" stories please!!

I taught with the AIR II (standard in my dive center classes) since 1996 and nothing happened of the sort you describe. NOTHING!!!

Regardless of what "happened" or did not "happen" in your dive classes or personal diving, there is no question that the octo/inflator:
1. Requires a longer corrugated hose than a standard inflator, which can easily use a 12" hose.
2. Is bulkier and more complicated than a standard inflator.
3. Requires a proprietary LP inflator hose.
4. Loses alternate air source if the LP inflator hose is disconnected to stop a leak.
5. Complicates air sharing while venting the BC.

This is pretty much exactly a synopsis of what I posted before. I realize you don't care about these attributes of the octo/inflator, but that doesn't mean they are not correct. They are.

I have been using the Octo/LPI combo since circa 1994 (SeaQuest, AL and SP) and none of the BS you mention happened or is relavent. Just cut the nonsense and don't feed inexperienced divers these "weak" stories please!!

If you're going to be rude, at least you could try to read a bit more carefully. What "weak stories" did I tell and what did I say "happened"?

all you are describing is "I've done it that way for 20 years and it's fine", that doesn't mean it's the best, just that you haven't had an issue. The simple fact is that if it was a better option, then it would be the standard for things like technical diving where having a high performance secondary is 100% essential. They are not allowed in any of the technical standards or courses I have seen, and the 5 reasons up there describe them quite well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom