Regulators: Best Value x < $600 ex. Dive Rite, Deep 6, DGX, HOG, etc.

First Regulator Set: Best Value x < $600?

• Dive Rite XT

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Deep 6

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • DGX (Deep 6)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • HOG

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Scuba Pro (MK2 EVO w/R195)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before purchasing them, I read about that on the series of tubes known as the internet.
Yeah i saw a comment earlier in the thread to this effect, but lots of folks dove them because they sold part kits and were very inexpensive. then prices doubled overnight. My brother and I have a couple first stages and second stages, but i'd never buy them again as they aren't the same value prop. That said, they breathe good and i'm sure will serve you well.

Yeah i saw a comment earlier in the thread to this effect, but lots of folks dove them because they sold part kits and were very inexpensive. then prices doubled overnight. My brother and I have a couple first stages and second stages, but i'd never buy them again as they aren't the same value prop. That said, they breathe good and i'm sure will serve you well.

Some companies are slow to recognize when they should adjust prices. Some possible scenarios:

- Put off price increases for some time and by the time they did it...years of inflation were factored into the updated price.

- Raw material + supplier price increases to keep the desired output quality.

- The desire to market and sell a product at a price point that the AVERAGE diver wouldn't view it as being disposable and/or junk.

If they still sold regulators today for the prices they did years ago...a lot of people would buy them, use them until they don't work well, and either flip them for a few bucks or toss them in the trash.

That and a lot of people wouldn't even consider them, because they'd see the price and assume they were junk.

Some companies are slow to recognize when they should adjust prices. Some possible scenarios:

- Put off price increases for some time and by the time they did it...years of inflation were factored into the updated price.

- Raw material + supplier price increases to keep the desired output quality.

- The desire to market and sell a product at a price point that the AVERAGE diver wouldn't view it as being disposable and/or junk.

If they still sold regulators today for the prices they did years ago...a lot of people would buy them, use them until they don't work well, and either flip them for a few bucks or toss them in the trash.

That and a lot of people wouldn't even consider them, because they'd see the price and assume they were junk.
I can tell with your long history and intimate knowledge of the topic you have formed your opinion, but other companies sell regs based on the same models for much less. They lost their competitive advantage, and the tech communities are more hesitant to buy as a result.

Raising prices so that divers respect them? what a bunch of malarkey.

I can tell with your long history and intimate knowledge of the topic you have formed your opinion, but other companies sell regs based on the same models for much less. They lost their competitive advantage, and the tech communities are more hesitant to buy as a result.

Raising prices so that divers respect them? what a bunch of malarkey.

I’ll bite...what company currently sells regulators “based on the same models for much less.”

You didn’t seem to catch the part where I mentioned not paying list price. From what I saw looking around...there was no other company out there (I spent a lot of time looking) that was going to deliver a similar product for what I paid for my setup.

I suspect that if people took the time to contact a local dealer and see what a regulator package would run them...as opposed to just looking at numbers online...they’d reach a similar conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom