Regulator testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRC.
If the reg is the MR-12 III that you mention in another post, and it has been sitting for any length of time i would find a Mares dealer and have it serviced. That reg, which was discontinued about 1990, is a pretty good reg--Mr-12 first stage with a brass second stage case. Service parts should be readily available.

Why do you think your gear needs to be serviced? Service is not inexpensive; and when it is unnecessary, it may cause more problems than it postpones. Some divers end up with a bill of $200 or more for "service".

Without knowing the history of the regulator service is always the correct answer, We are suppose to keep the sport safe and not try and save a couple of dollars versus our life or chamber ride.

Without knowing the history of the regulator service is always the correct answer, We are suppose to keep the sport safe and not try and save a couple of dollars versus our life or chamber ride.

Nonsense. When someone buys a used car with unknown history, is it tome to have a brake job and the engine rebuilt? Of course not. It is time for a competent inspection to determine the service needs. A service comes with its own safety risk. Regulators that need service will probably leak or perform poorly. Catastrophic failures, OTOH, are more likely to result from a defect in materials or service error. So unnecessary service can increase the risk of catastrophic failure. Although the chances are quite low, that unnecessary risk can be avoided by declining unnecessary service.

And you will save about $100 - not $2.

So, save money and decrease risk by going with a good inspection and avoid unnecessary service.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2012 at 09:37 AM ----------

This regulator was given to me by a family member. It has been sitting for years. It appears to be in good condition. I just figured I would get it serviced to be sure. Is that not the route I should take?

Soft parts in modern regulators have shelf lives in the 10 to 20 year range under proper storage conditions. When those soft parts do fail due to age, the failure will result in leaks, not the loss of breathing gas. A good inspection can reveal such parts. But, at some point, it is just as much work to thoroughly clean, inspect, and lube a regulator as it is to go ahead and apply a service kit. A good tech should be able to advise you on the work that needs to be done. Unfortunately, many will just sock it to you - for their own good.

If there is still air in the tanks, go ahead and mount the reg(s) and cycle them a bit to see what happens. If they seem OK, stick them in some water and check for small leaks. Someone will still need to do a good thorough inspection, but this should give you an idea of what to expect.

anything more than a intermediate pressure check and a flow bench test will most likely require rebuild kits..issue is once tech opens up regulator to check/clean it he "owns" it and to warranty his work a full rebuild will be performed. Tech would not want to hear about an issue 2 or 3 months later that could have been avoided by doing a proper job.

Ok lots of good information thank you!

From my perspective appropriate service is the way to go with regulator ownership. Thie means knowing the history, normal response and watching for changes. If you arm yourself with the knowledge to do his then you have a lot of lattitude.

A regulator can be contaminated with salt or other corrosives and still test OK for some period all the while sustaining damage to the internal surfaces. If I was putting a dormant regulator into service and did not have first hand history I would at east opt for a full "open it up" inspection to verify internal conditions.

I agree that a regulator servicing can have collateral damage but I would caution against making regulator servicing sound like the tactic of last resort.

At the end of the day you want to trust the regulator for air delivery and to remain servicable for years.

Pete

Nonsense. When someone buys a used car with unknown history, is it tome to have a brake job and the engine rebuilt? Of course not. It is time for a competent inspection to determine the service needs. A service comes with its own safety risk. Regulators that need service will probably leak or perform poorly. Catastrophic failures, OTOH, are more likely to result from a defect in materials or service error. So unnecessary service can increase the risk of catastrophic failure. Although the chances are quite low, that unnecessary risk can be avoided by declining unnecessary service.

And you will save about $100 - not $2.

So, save money and decrease risk by going with a good inspection and avoid unnecessary service.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2012 at 09:37 AM ----------

If I was buying a used car I would have it inspected before I purchased it. By your logic who ever service it last did a crap job anyway so it needs service. The manufacture have a set time for their product to be serviced you may disagree but you have insufficient data prove the manufacture wrong and it comes down to this you won't reimburse anybody for the expense they incurred from your advice if something goes wrong.

anything more than a intermediate pressure check and a flow bench test will most likely require rebuild kits..issue is once tech opens up regulator to check/clean it he "owns" it and to warranty his work a full rebuild will be performed. Tech would not want to hear about an issue 2 or 3 months later that could have been avoided by doing a proper job.

Very true. Inspections are visual without taking the regulator apart. Once you do, a kit is needed. Hey, to each their own. If you want to buy it, check the IP then dive it, good for you. My preference is to see a rebuild so you can get a good look inside.

I am always amazed when I take apart a reg that was recently "inspected" only to find oxidized internal parts and pitting. You never know how we'll the previous person took care of their regs. How many times is the dust cap left off a 1st stage by accident and it is placed in a rinse tank full of salt from everyone else's gear?

How about this one: "it free flows so it probably just needs an adjustment." Then I find the body out of round from an impact. "The tank fell off a picnic table onto a tank below it but just once." Now your adjustment just turned into buying a new reg.(real story)

So it's your choice, whatever makes you happy. Some like to gamble, some don't. It's a personal thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If I was buying a used car I would have it inspected before I purchased it. By your logic who ever service it last did a crap job anyway so it needs service. The manufacture have a set time for their product to be serviced you may disagree but you have insufficient data prove the manufacture wrong and it comes down to this you won't reimburse anybody for the expense they incurred from your advice if something goes wrong.

Actually, I have all the experience I need to prove the manufacturers wrong in my case. I have been servicing my own regs for almost 15 years now and generally running 5 years or more between full service (replacement of seats and other soft parts). When I first started buying "new" used regs of unknown background, I would give them a full service and it did establish a good baseline. Now I tend to test and inspect (including enough disassembly to see the interior condition) and make my service decisions from there. My last acquisition, an original pilot, has about 25 dives on it now after nothing more than an inspection (black o-rings were a good sign) and a small adjustment.

I am still not really sure whether manufacturer recommendations are just excessively safe sided, based on divers who do poor user maintenance, or just a matter of what the market will stand. I really think it is all three with emphasis on the latter to support their authorized dealer work load.

BTW, I'll back my advise the same way most LDS techs back their service: If you have a problem, bring it back and I'll redo it (give you more advise).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom