regulator test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivansie

Reaction score
Hi, I just got mine and my wife's new set of gear including regulators and octo (mares mr12proton). What is the best way of testing them before going in our very first dive with the new equipment. We try them at the shop breathing from a tank but I am not comfortable with only that, the pool I have access too has a max depth of 12f and I will be going 60f. What type of test should be performed? only dive into a pool and breath for a while??? or there is something else that will be worth doing?

:confused:

Thanks in advance
ivan

A pool is a great place to start. It's a good chance to check for leaks, make sure everything breathes comfortably, and review skills with your new gear.

When you are done, give that gear a good soaking under pressure from the tanks. A chlorinated pool can be harder on a regulator and other gear than salt water.

If they breath well in the pool and don't leak then they should be fine. If you are concerned then make sure you keep a good eye on each other and you octo is working (things you are doing anyway)

You can test a reg by lowering it, mouthpiece up, into a bucket of water while it is connected to a cylinder. Lower it in <slowly> and it should start to flow very gently before the mouth hole goes below the water. The deeper it goes the more it will open until the water pours in.

Thanks to both of you for your tips, I guess I will be going to the pool and checking for breathing and leaks for a while and probably try bucket of water too since that way you are directly looking at your regulator. If those 2 are ok then its time to head for the deep!!!!!!!!!:D

thanks

I'm trying to recall the post service checks that Oxyhacker (Vance Harlow) recommends in his book.

1. By hand, try to unscrew things like hoses, covers, 1st stage body. Everything should be more than handtight except maybe the cover on the 2nd which should at least be snug.

2. Hook reg to tank but leave air off. (can also be done by securing dust cap on 1st.) Try to breath thru 2nd stage (not too hard). You should get nothing. If it does fix the leak.

3. Air on & a sink or bucket of water. With mouthpiece pointed up slowly stick second into water. Before the water reaches the top of the mouthpiece and enters the reg, a freeflow should start. If not, something is wrong - might just need tuning. Back off enough to stop the freeflow and make sure no water runs into the main body. No leaks should occur.

4. Air on. Look/listen for leaks. Submerge tank & regs in bathtub. Move it around a bit to release any captured water and then give it a few minutes and look for bubbles that indicate a leak. With the mouthpiece up under water, you don't have to wait for the body to fill with air to find a leak inside the 2nd.

If you do find leaks, try curing by purging vigoriously a couple times. If the problem is a little dirt in the wrong place, this will often remove it. It leak persists, seek technical help.

enjoy

awap once bubbled...
2. Hook reg to tank but leave air off. (can also be done by securing dust cap on 1st.) Blow into 2nd stage (not too hard). No air should escape. If it does fix the leak.

Blow into the reg? Air will escape, I assure you.

Maybe you meant suck on the reg?

jonnythan once bubbled...

Blow into the reg? Air will escape, I assure you.

Maybe you meant suck on the reg?

Yes sucking will work much better.

I'll edit it.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom