Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are we? Death swivels are the topic.
I think you just coined another phrase:
“Swivels of Death”
Just like bungees of death and rubber fin straps of death. I’m sure there’s other things of death.
They’re all Failure Points!!!!”
Oh yeah, and also “Rotating turrets of death”.

How did people dive back when they only used one second stage. Holy cow, there must have been fatalities every other day!
We swam to the surface. Many of us didn't have an SPG, so we relied on our J-Valves to do it safely.
We knew how to -- and practiced -- buddy breathing. :wink:
Yeah, I never did that. Each man for his own.

For $10 you can make your reg sit comfortable with whatever hose you have. Over 100 dives with these on all my regs and they haven't showed any sign of leaking or failure. The swivel feature is awesome

View attachment 814529
As a couple people have mentioned, I wouldn't have any issue at all with this style of swivel/angle adapter. If it is a fixed angle then you're just adding a single #10 O ring that is hidden under the nut, just like the end of the regulator hose at the second stage. That design has proven to be about as reliable as anything, so would likely be the last part to fail. It's a very simple o ring to replace at a normal service, takes a few seconds and less than a dollar in parts, often already in the service kit as it's a standard size.

There are definitely good omni swivels and can be very reliable, but years ago serviced a lot of them as they were coming out and being developed and generally used somewhat proprietary seals and o rings, they also had a bit of tolerance/adjustment that meant they could fail more easily if they loosened up. I've personally seen them fail a couple times right before a dive. Haven't been inside a newer omni swivel, but I would feel more confident with the fixed angle.

How did people dive back when they only used one second stage. Holy cow, there must have been fatalities every other day!
No power inflators either (if we are even diving with a BC).

My basic class, no octo, no power inflator, only gauges were a watch, depth gauge and an SPG.

Oh god, look at this.
Heartburn city!
IMG_0896.jpeg

I'm thinking about getting a regulator hose swivel, since I bite down hard unknowingly while diving as a way to keep my regulator straight in my mouth. Otherwise, it wants to push its way out. Like picture kind of shows. Anyway the question is I have read places that they have a tendency of failing, causing a free flow. Is this your option?

View attachment 814366

Thanks Marty

I really liked them when I used them. I had one blow out on me and I scrapped the idea. I came on here and found out maybe with a little TLC every once in a while and some loctite it may not have done that. I switched to a 7' house and just had to contend with taming that. Comfortable as can be when diving though... never looked back.

Good luck, Plenty of ways to dive. You'll have to sift through all these experiences and figure what's right for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom