Regulator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billyf:

Just curious how do you pick up XTX 200 for 360 a set? I can see you picking up ATX50 for 360 because they are trying to blow them off, reason being because they are going to stop production of the ATX series because the XTX is the replacement. I can get the ATX200 for 450 for blow out sale at my local dive shop.
Chris thats just my .02

I can't speak toward Apex (though they are highly regarded), but the benifit of the ScubaPro MK17 (first stage) is it's simplicity and durability, which is what you'd want to have for an ice diving reg. Either brand will do you right I think.

This is what i think, If you buy the best of the regulators brand they all do the same job, If you buy the best you get the best if you buy mid you get mid range gear. Reason why i think this way is if i put 700 out of the Apex reg or spend 670 on a scuba pro reg your getting the same thing. By the top model of any brand you get the same thing, Its just looks and what you like the best. Cheers thats my .02

Do the APEKS, those guys dive cold atlantic the ATX or XTX 100 is great. If you want to spend the bucks the Atomic M1 is sweet.

Do most technical divers have 2 high-performance regs?

Or do most buy a secondary regulator that is specifically intended to be on the short hose, but at a lower cost and provide reliability over performance?

ehuber:
Do most technical divers have 2 high-performance regs?

Or do most buy a secondary regulator that is specifically intended to be on the short hose, but at a lower cost and provide reliability over performance?

Usually two identical regulators, both high performance.

I'll second the vote for Zeagle regulators. A Flathead VI with ZX seconds is basically an ATX100. I love mine. It doesn't care where we're diving - on a beautiful reef in Maui, or under ice in Alaska, it's been rock solid reliable and an easy breather.

-Brandon.

Brandon:
Usually two identical regulators, both high performance.

I'll second the vote for Zeagle regulators. A Flathead VI with ZX seconds is basically an ATX100. I love mine. It doesn't care where we're diving - on a beautiful reef in Maui, or under ice in Alaska, it's been rock solid reliable and an easy breather.

-Brandon.

Isn't the flathead now being marketed under another name?

Im from canada so same diving as you do .I use the atomic m1 and a modified z2 for my back gas great regs never let me down ,Stay away from the scubapro mk 25 they freeze way to easy

If the m1 is to pricy Apeks ds4/tx50 or knock off's (dive rite ,zeagle,salvo) is a great combo they dont breath as well but are half the price

Poseidons are great too but are expensive to maintain and not many shops deal with them

And use your sherwood for a stage they work awsome for that

Betail:
Isn't the flathead now being marketed under another name?
Nope... there's a Flathead XP, but that's an unsealed version of the Flathead VI.

Flathead VI at Zeagle's Website

It's their top of the line regulator... don't see it going away any time soon.

There's some old longstanding confusion with Zeagle's former association with Apeks. Zeagle used to be the primary distributor in the US for Apeks, then decided to start building their own regulators. Several of the Zeagle designs are heavily based on Apeks regulators, but I wouldn't call them knock offs. Zeagle took solid Apeks designs and added improvements that they thought would enhance performance. They aren't a cheap copy by any means.

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom