Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) possibility of self service if I need it

It would be good if you had an issue far from service. You might want to discuss with the uni whether you would be considered a proper service tech if you took the service course, just like any other service tech would do. And considering your skin in the game, you have a vested interest in doing it right. Kind of like packing your own parachute.

Bob

- The idea of self-servicing regs may be a bit over-hyped. I am a certified ScubaPro Pro Regulator Tech. I have some ScubaPro regs among my collection. I have never serviced them myself and probably will not. There are two main reasons for that. One, to be able to service them myself would require investment in tools that cost more than I really want to spend. And, two, I would only be servicing them every couple of years at the most. And, at that point, I would not want to depend on my own memory to do the service correctly. If I was working on regs somewhat regularly and often, then yes, I would service my own. But, for something I will only ever do every 2 (or longer, most likely) years, I will pay a professional who has all the right tools and does it every day.
So, you say you will get certified to work on your own, but will you really do that? Only you can decide that for yourself. For me, I will keep my regs properly maintained, so that I am extremely unlikely to actually have a problem in the field. And, instead of buying all the tools required, I will just take an extra 1st and 2nd stage with me on trips, so that if I do have a problem, I can just swap a reg out and then have the problematic one serviced when I get home.
Personally, I have found that switching a reg set back and forth between single tank and doubles and sidemount is a pain, so I have a dedicated set for doubles and a dedicated set for single tank. And other regs dedicated for deco bottle use. The concept of buying only regs that would work for all those scenarios sounded good to me, on paper. But, in reality, saving some money and getting Z2 regs for single tank meant not having a swivel turret - and that's just fine for me. I didn't spend extra for a feature that I have learned I will never need or use.

Sorry that it's taken me so long to reply, I've been swamped with exams. Thank you for your in depth replies! My main motivation for self-servicing is mostly in the event that I'm required to service on an annual basis, as it seems the universities that I've been dealing with (and hope to deal with in the future) require. I also value being able to understand how things I use are put together and being able to repair them with the knowledge that I know how to do it. My dad was taught as a carpenter/roofer/plumber/electrician growing up and he does basically all repairs and DIY projects on his own, and he taught me that value. Service kits for some brands/models come pretty cheap or even free with purchase, so I'm not worried about that too much depending on my choice. I probably would buy one anyways just to have the spare parts on me. I already have a spare parts and clips bag for my computer, camera, and BC that I bring to all my dives so I would probably just continue that.

As for switching reg sets between single tank/doubles/sidemount, I really don't know how far off doubles/sidemount rigs are for me, other than far. At that point, I would probably get a dedicated reg set, like you said, or at least change out hoses and what parts necessary (I honestly don't know the difference between doubles/sidemount/singles in terms of regulators but again, that's far off). The diving I'm likely to do for research will probably be reasonably shallow (this summer the max depth is like 30 ft and it's stuff that interests me a lot, so I'll probably stay within there), and I shouldn't need anything more than singles for a while

It would be good if you had an issue far from service. You might want to discuss with the uni whether you would be considered a proper service tech if you took the service course, just like any other service tech would do. And considering your skin in the game, you have a vested interest in doing it right. Kind of like packing your own parachute.

Bob
The course certifies me as an authorized technician, so I don't anticipate any issues. I need to call the DSO anyways about the medical requirements, so I'll ask him to be sure. I'm hoping to make these regs last a long, long time, so I'll be taking good care of them. It's just a matter of learning how to do that properly

Service kits for some brands/models come pretty cheap or even free with purchase, so I'm not worried about that too much depending on my choice. I probably would buy one anyways just to have the spare parts on me.

Most manufacturers do not sell parts directly to divers. So you need to be careful when you make your selection. Hog, Deep6, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and I think Poseidon does. Other than that you need to go to the grey market. Sometimes you can find kits on eBay and Amazon or from a sympathetic dive shop.

As for switching reg sets between single tank/doubles/sidemount, I really don't know how far off doubles/sidemount rigs are for me, other than far. At that point, I would probably get a dedicated reg set, like you said, or at least change out hoses and what parts necessary (I honestly don't know the difference between doubles/sidemount/singles in terms of regulators but again, that's far off). The diving I'm likely to do for research will probably be reasonably shallow (this summer the max depth is like 30 ft and it's stuff that interests me a lot, so I'll probably stay within there), and I shouldn't need anything more than singles for a while

Get a first stage with a turret and an down port like StuartV recommends and you will be good. The main difference between backmount and sidemount regulators is the hoses and there is not total agreement on the best hose configuration for sidemount.

Most manufacturers do not sell parts directly to divers. So you need to be careful when you make your selection. Hog, Deep6, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and I think Poseidon does. Other than that you need to go to the grey market. Sometimes you can find kits on eBay and Amazon or from a sympathetic dive shop.

Get a first stage with a turret and an down port like StuartV recommends and you will be good. The main difference between backmount and sidemount regulators is the hoses and there is not total agreement on the best hose configuration for sidemount.
Is the down port useful for just reaching the tanks and not kinking/making a big loop?

She went with deep 6 so she is all good on both accounts

Are you talking about this one?
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Is it serviceable and can you get the required service parts (o'rings) easily?

Have you had any issues with it leaking over time at all?

I have used them for years and recommend them, they are very durable and serviceable. Edd has sourced these from an excellent supplier. There are others that look similar, but are NOT the same swivels, in serviceability or quality.

I use that one and love it. Came with a rebuild kit when I got it, so they're definitely available.

No special tools required? I have the Omniswivel and it is leaking now and needs service. It needs special tools and the cost of the tools and service kit cost much more than this Cave Adventures swivel unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom