Regulator Soaking Question?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After years of soaking regs off pressure here is my .02.

Get yourself and o-ring sealed or rubber dust cap.
Put it in place.
Don't push the purge button on your 2nd stages.
Soak for 24hrs.
Rinse.
Air dry.

Fresh water won't hurt the inside of your 2nd stage (think dangling octo's).
Fresh water won't hurt inside your 1st stage.
Its when you have salt or dirty water that can plug up your filter is the problem with getting water in to the 1st stage.
Also water in your 1st could be forced in to your SPG and cause real problems with it.

I was told to rinse my Apeks and Aqualung regs thoroughly in fresh after each use. That means with the "dust" cap in place so no water gets into the first stage. The second stage is self-sealing and no water gets into the critical parts of it. I have also learned through trial and error that "thoroughly" means longer than I originally thought. After each day of diving, I give do a pretty decent rinse in a shower or a tub. Upon returning home, the regs now soak in the tub for hours because I discovered that despite apparently "thorough" rinses at home, salt crystals were forming in the first stage pressure sensing cavity days and weeks after the rinse. That obviously means the rinse was not sufficiently thorough and that fresh water did not get in all the nooks and crannies to wash away residual salt. I was careful previously, but am much more careful now. Pesky stuff, that salt.

Jon C:
I have been told to keep pressure in the rig when soaking the second stage. Also, most first stages have "dust caps" not water proof seals and therefore should not be soaked unless they have pressure.

But I do have a question and it applies to regs and other gear...Is there a product or household item that is recommended to add during soaking to help disolve the salt build-up without damaging the gear? Like vinegar??? Does soap actually help break it up?

Jon

We use a tiny bit of "salt-away" meant for the cooling system of the boat, the label says "dive regs too"....but I don't recommend it because I don't really KNOW what it will do long term. I always talk to the service guy and get an idea of what the diaphragm "looked like" plus he puts the old parts in a bag. That is basically how I grade myself on how I have done.

i would not worry about soaking unpressurized. i'd venture to guess that 80-90% of all divers soak without pressurizing. they do not own tanks and when on vacation have you ever tried soaking in the diveshop bucket with the tank attached? given that the vast majority rinses/soaks without pressure you would expect a high rate of regulator failures if this were a problem. however, reg failures are exceedingly rare. therefore, the standard method practiced by the vast majority of divers can't be all that bad.
you can also run a little experiment: put your reg into a bucket, tub whatever (no running water because water needs to be calm). check for bubbles. if the first stage or hose were to fill with water you'd see bubbles rising.

As long as the dust cap is on the 1st stage you can submerge your reg, 2nd stage, inflator hose with absolutely no damage.
We dive almost daily and have been doing it for years. NEVER been a problem.

lmorin:
I have also learned through trial and error that "thoroughly" means longer than I originally thought.
My experience with other gear as well as regs is that it makes a big difference whether you manage to rinse off the salt water BEFORE it dries. Removing salt crystals or film takes a lot of soaking. Removing liquid salt water just takes a few seconds.

reefugee:
I don't think vinegar or soap will help with the salt breakup. I would soak it in just water. If you want to speed up the process - use warm water instead of cold water. Also - go purchase a cheap aquarium powerhead to help stir the water.

Minh

So, let me get this straight...You are suggesting I take a CHEAP aquarium head, with 117 VOLTS, drop it into my tub of WATER, on my WET garage floor to help stir the water? Would you also suggest I do it during a lightning storm? Or maybe shut the garage door and start my car to keep warm?

You are either an ex-wife I didn't know I had or an ex-friend I owe money to or a scuba internet serial killer!!!:11:

I'll consider the "warm water" option.:wink:

Thanks,

Jon

keep it pressurized, otherwise only rinse, water can flow into the 1st stage of a reg if your not careful and you let it soak.

salt away is awsome on my boat so it probable wont hurt anything on the reg

Back
Top Bottom