Regulator Soaking Question?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try to remember to take some pics. Yes, they're just delrin DIN caps. The seal is made by the reg's o-ring pressing against the flat Delrin surface inside, in the exact same manner it seals into your tank (although without the same pressure, of course), and I'd imagine the threads offer some degree of protection as well. Drop me a PM sometime and I'll post a pic or two. They don't seem like anything special to me, just another thing cluttering the wall at my LDS. I was stunned to hear about the existence of DIN caps that don't seal... what's the point? "Dust"?

Packhorse:
Anyone rinse their regs after diving fresh water?
Yep. The only exception I have made is fresh water cenotes. They are the rinse :)

~Jess

Just wondering, i have an aqualung legend, with the acd closing thingamagig, how well does that actually keep the water out? would it be safe to soak it in water? or should i still use a dustcap?

Saskia:
Just wondering, i have an aqualung legend, with the acd closing thingamagig, how well does that actually keep the water out? would it be safe to soak it in water? or should i still use a dustcap?
No first hand experience, but considering they advertise it by showing a picture of it sitting in water with no cap, it's probably fine.

CompuDude:
I'll try to remember to take some pics. Yes, they're just delrin DIN caps. The seal is made by the reg's o-ring pressing against the flat Delrin surface inside, in the exact same manner it seals into your tank (although without the same pressure, of course), and I'd imagine the threads offer some degree of protection as well. Drop me a PM sometime and I'll post a pic or two. They don't seem like anything special to me, just another thing cluttering the wall at my LDS. I was stunned to hear about the existence of DIN caps that don't seal... what's the point? "Dust"?

I couldn't dive last weekend because a snow. So~~~~Wait for stopping by your LDS until I finished the experiment.:D

I can take a picture tonight if anyone want... It isn't a big deal. :D

Yes, it is only for a dust & protecting a thread. It is OK though. It isn't what I want...:wink:

Always simply rinsed my regs off, I suppose I've dunked my regs before with the "dust cap" on, I might have even left my regs overnight in the tub, But I feel alittle misled by the industry, I can see that if someone pours a cup of sand into a first stage "bad", but my OW instructor, my AOW instructor always warned me of the dangers of allowing "water" to get into the first stage, It could cause a reg failure, however no one said anything about Dust. if you are refering to the same dust that collects on my entertainment center every week, I would really be pretty upset if my LDS told me my Legend supreme failed because alittle dust got into the first stage. I'm fairly confident that despite my "dust cap" being on my first stage after dunking it, no water got in, I get yearly servicing of our regs and yet to have anyone inform me that water was seeping in, lastly I always thought water was the enemy to the first stage and the manufactures give us dust caps?

A good dust cap is made from a solid chunk of rubber and is not hollowed out in the center to provide a reservoir to store water. Some of the best "caps" I used to see were solid rubber balls made of a dense material. I have gone so far as to make my own out of a chunck of very heavy solid rubber mats used in a weight lifting gym.

The crappy plastic caps that have a recess for an o-ring (that always seems to fall out) should be discarded if your regulator is going to be soaked or exposed to salt water spray on the ride in. I think Scuba Pro and Oceanic have made decent ones, but the dust cap that came on the new Scuba Pro reg I bought a month ago has a plastic insert and a reservoir to store water???

dumpsterDiver:
A good dust cap is made from a solid chunk of rubber and is not hollowed out in the center to provide a reservoir to store water. Some of the best "caps" I used to see were solid rubber balls made of a dense material. I have gone so far as to make my own out of a chunck of very heavy solid rubber mats used in a weight lifting gym.

The crappy plastic caps that have a recess for an o-ring (that always seems to fall out) should be discarded if your regulator is going to be soaked or exposed to salt water spray on the ride in. I think Scuba Pro and Oceanic have made decent ones, but the dust cap that came on the new Scuba Pro reg I bought a month ago has a plastic insert and a reservoir to store water???

Actually, Apeks uses a round ball type dust cap. Simple. Elegant. It seems to seal quite well.

Actually the aquarium head is made to be put underwater. It's used to move and aerate water.

There is an amazing amount of misinformation in this thread. As a regulator technician, let me try to add some clarity. Regulators should be soaked (not dipped) any time that they have been immersed in anything other than fresh tap water. In a perfect world, everyone would have a little 6 cubic ft air cylinder for this purpose. Since we don't live in a perfect world, the best alternative is to soak your reg with the rubber dust cap firmly in place (or in the case of din regs use a decent threaded cap - I have 5 or 6 styles laying around and all of them seal against the o-ring that is on a din regulator - you can pick one up at your lds or online for less than $10) - do not press any buttons (purge) while the non-pressurized reg is submerged. Warm water is best for the soak if available, but a cold water soak is better than no soak. Chemicals are not required. 15 minutes to a half hour is a good amount of time unless you have let saltwater dry in/on your regulator - in that case err of the side of leaving it in a while longer and try to use a tank so you can purge a few times. At the shop where I work, we have many instructors who log lots of quarry time and I swear that I have seen enough quarry muck dried inside of second stages that I know were "rinsed" after every dive day to convince me that rinsing doesn't cut it. Also, please soak your bcd and rinse the inside of the bladder thoroughly - Tobin at DSS sells a nifty little tool for flushing your power inflator that makes flushing your bcd easier. I have actually gotten seveal teaspoons of salt crystals out some bcds - this is important to the average diver because salt crystals can damage bcd bladders over time.

If you'd like to read a pretty good article on basic gear cleaning, try this one or on how long regs can last between service when properly maintained - try this one

This is not that complicated - soak your gear when you can and rinse it if that is all you have a chance to do. BTW, those of you who think that the fancy "keep water out of my first stage" dodads will work for soaking haven't seen them disassembled. Put your dust cap on and be safer.

YMMV,
Jackie
I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I am a certified regulator technician for the following brands (doesn't mean that I don't have factory training or experience on other brands, just that my shop isn't a dealer for them:)):
Aeris
Mares/Dacor
DiveRite
Poseidon
Zeagle
Sherwood

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom